Family Roadtrip, Can we share my callsign

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE8EVO, Jul 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that...
    QRZ Forums Code of Conduct
    Guidelines and Rules for users of the Forum (in part)
    Advocating illegal behavior of any kind (per U.S. laws).

WN1MB likes this.
  2. K4CUA

K4CUA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One advantage of GMRS is that some areas have good repeater networks that aren't overused (usually requiring a club membership). About $75 for a family license, plus the repeater club. No test, just a few basic, practical rules for proper operation (such as station ID every 15 minutes).

3. WA5QEC

WA5QEC Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be allowed in the UK, but not in the USA. Again though, why not just provide the other vehicles with radios the children are less likely to get in trouble with?

K3XR likes this.
  4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not allowed here - but it is pretty much impossible to detect provided you behave yourself! Running 50W on a channel that is supposed to be limited to 100mW might be a bit of a giveaway!

Martin

5. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Evidently, I am weird, well I am but that's not the matter. Either that or I value my Ham license more than anyone else.
    There is no way that using someone else's call sign on ham radio is permitted. Have we devolved into a bunch of hams who think "no one's going to notice so I might get away with it"?.
    You alone earned the license, not the others in your caravan... Under US rules you cannot do that.GO ahead, try it, just don't be surprised if you get a visit or a letter from the friendly FCC guy noting your operations and telling you that you can't do that.
    Hey, while you're at, why don't you play some entertainment music over the radio so that the other people in your caravan can be entertained with your favourite music while you are travelling? And Oh yeah, make sure you do that on one of the repeaters in some of the towns that you might pass through. Hams love good music. Especially on 2 meters during the day.
    Oh by the way, FRS allows you 2 watts on most of the FRS channels, sounds a lot better than 0.2 watts on a ham repeater to me. Or how about 2 watts on MURS on a vhf frequency. there you have 5 frequencies to use and don't need a license.
    Just a thought.

6. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no protocol. This is one of the prohibited practices listed in the R&Rs. -> Don't do it!!! <--
    Open up your copy of the FCC ham radio rules and regulations. You do have a copy, don't you?

7. KJ7WRZ

KJ7WRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some radios have a "lock" feature. I use it on radios that I hand out so that only on/off/volume and PTT are functional.

8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WY0JOE

WY0JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

FRS and MURS are "license by rule," but GMRS does require a license, however, there is no exam necessary to obtain the license.
    Last I checked, it was still $70 for a 10-year GMRS license, so only about $7/year.

The GMRS license also covers most of the license holder's relatives: parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, and if I recall correctly, spouses. About the only relatives not covered are cousins, and perhaps, aunts and uncles, from what I recall seeing in the rules.

Anyway, I agree with the few others that GMRS is the way to go in this case. The relatively low-cost of the (family) license and of some GMRS radios, the added power options, and the ability to use a detachable antenna give GMRS an edge over competing services in my opinion, at least when looking at options with no testing requirements.

I got my GMRS license and a few radios for just this type of situation. Most of my relatives are not interested in becoming hams, so using GMRS is a good alternative when necessary.

10. KD5QFL

KD5QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I had 5 sets of those radios and they were great.