Family Roadtrip, Can we share my callsign

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE8EVO, Jul 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

break one law, break another...

WA5QEC likes this.
  2. AF7IN

AF7IN Ham Member QRZ Page

THAT is an awesome idea! Very cool. I take it this remains within the rules for FRS since the antenna is non-replaceable?

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, the rules say that the antenna needs to be built in, but they don't say anything about how long the mike cord can be.

AF7IN likes this.
  4. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you could attach a chin strap to the beanie/yarmulke, you could be walking mobile.

AF7IN likes this.
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had a steel plate in your head, it would work great!

AF7IN and K7KBN like this.
  6. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do it if everyone has their own call sign. Else, no.

FRS, GMRS and MURS are the only other LEGAL ways to do what you want to do as none of the above mentioned services requires a license.
    DO NOT try this on any ham band, you might get in trouble and you might just lose YOUR ham license. It is not worth the trouble you could get into.
    Oh and if you use any of these services, make sure you use equipment that is certified for that service. In other words, no Baofeng radios what so ever. Stay type accepted and stay out of any potential trouble.

7. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on what the antenna requires.

I tried using a broadband mobile antenna on an NMO mount only to find out the thing needed a ground plane AT LEAST 3 FEET SQUARE -- 36" x 36".

Obviously that one didn't work out.

N9LCD

8. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand by my claim that with appropriate hardware one could do 'remote 3rd party'. Still not the best answer for the OP (FRS, GMRS, or CB is a much better answer) but this is an ancient zombie thread anyway, and it is fun to think about how to do something while staying in the rules.

1) 'Third party' operation is permitted. This means that a non-licensed individual can communicate using amateur radio.
    2) For 'Third party' operation the license holder must actually be in charge of the transmission. The license holder must have a way to stop any inappropriate transmission, and is responsible for the transmissions.

I think this could be implemented with suitable hardware.

But such hardware would be experiment (one of the goals of amateur radio) and more expensive then using the proper tools (FRS, GMRS, CB or cell phones). But it could be fun.

Jon
    AF7TS

9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You could, of course, wide-band both radios and use them on the FRS frequencies! :D

Martin (G8FXC)

10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad that it has come down to this as a sincere opinion or advice:(
    Not that I wish to be a ham elitist or such thing,,, down the slippery slope we slip.....

WN1MB and K3XR like this.