Family Roadtrip, Can we share my callsign

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE8EVO, Jul 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7MFC

K7MFC Ham Member QRZ Page

What you're basically saying is that the rules don't apply if you think there's a high likelihood you won't be caught. btw, 2m is far from dead where I am, you would not go unnoticed

KE0DZW, AI7PM and K3XR like this.
  2. N1FMV

N1FMV Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure why anyone would want to even consider breaking the rules as there are so many egal alternatives. As others have mentioned a GPRS license is easy to obtain. FRS and MURS don't even require a specific license and are licensed by type.

N0LOV and K7MFC like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind that there are a group of hams who previously operated in a radio service where there was frequently little or no regard for the rules and regulations why would they change because they operate on the ham bands ?

KP4SX, ND6M and AI7PM like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Everything.

K7MH and N1FMV like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's also the fact that FRS radios are pretty inexpensive and foolproof.

K7MH likes this.
  6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

A particularly important aspect of FRS radios!
    One accidental keypad button push can send a 2 meter handheld into limbo!

N2EY likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's this "erosion of the rules" that is slowly seeping into amateur radio, in a bad way.

Do NOT do that! If we don't police ourselves, and do what's right on our own, no one will do it for us

Dave
    W7UUU

WB0MPB, AI7PM, W4POT and 4 others like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly it is a reflection of the thinking of what is not a small part of society......rules we don't need no stinkin' rules .

9. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that the best choice for this application would be a pair of FRS radios. Another option would be GMRS, which provides for a no-test family licence if you pay the fee.

One big benefit with the GMRS route is better antenna options. An FRS radio is licensed with its included antenna, and the antenna has to be integral to the radio and of limited gain. GMRS permits things like a roof mount antenna on your vehicle.

A few months back I posted on a related topic about _how_ to legally do the proposed operation (hand a part 97 HT to an unlicensed friend and have them legally able to talk). Lots of good objections were raised, and my conclusion is that it is in theory possible with the correct hardware to make 'remote 3rd party comms' work, but not practical with any reasonable (meaning available for purchase) equipment.

Jon
    AF7TS

1 person likes this.
  10. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Rules are rules.
    A small town bank? whats it gonna hurt?
    two FRS radios are very inexpensive .

AI7PM likes this.