Family Roadtrip, Can we share my callsign

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE8EVO, Jul 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8EVO

KE8EVO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just wondering, if we are heading out on a road trip, can i hand them a HT and use my car rig to communicate using my callsign. if so, what is the protocol. do we both announce as my call?

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

So by "road trip", you mean a two vehicle convoy? And you want to maintain contact between both vehicles? The answer is - NO, you can't do that. You can't be the Control Operator of both vehicles simultaneously.

Get a pair of FRS radios. No license required. Two watts will be more than sufficient for the job.

N0TZU, NE1U, AJ4EM and 1 other person like this.
  3. KE8EVO

KE8EVO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what i thought, but just wanted to make sure. thanks for the reply so fast.

4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

FRS radios work great for this. I use them often when traveling with non ham friends. WD5IKX-mobile-sm-crop.JPG

John WD5IKX

W7EDC likes this.
  5. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have run into a few people that tried this and got away with it.
    Not a good idea.
    Like the guy said, FRS or even CB for those that are not licensed.

AJ4EM and W7EDC like this.
  6. K7MFC

K7MFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the others, the path of least resistance here is some FRS handheld radios. The recent rules changes to FRS/GMRS now allow for license-free operation of 2W on channels 1-7 and 15-22. So I'd suggest picking up some newer radios that allow for the increased output power. I have 4 decent Midland FRS radios that I keep ready to go for this exact purpose. I hand those out to family/friends/other unlicensed users and I can usually get a half to one mile range from inside the cab of both vehicles. Cell phones are the backup should the convoy get split up and out of radio contact. If you want to obtain a call sign that everyone in your family can operate under, GMRS fits that bill. With that license, you're allowed an output power of 50W and you have repeater access. All members of your family can identify under the single call sign.

7. N9TDE

N9TDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not try MURS, it is a unlicensed band 2 watts on VHF around 155. A couple of cheap Bofang radios and CHIRP to program.

K7MFC likes this.
  8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest semaphore flags.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can vouch for that as we did that when we moved out of MN down to TX. Used 4 FRS radios between all of our vehicles and were good for as much as a 2 mile stretch without loss.
    KC0NIB

NE1U likes this.
  10. WB5MG

WB5MG Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that since 2 m is mostly dead , or it is around here , wouldn't see a problem ,2 watts between 2 cars whats it gonna hurt JMO