ad: ProAudio-1

Fallbrook On Fire

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8WP, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8WP

N8WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Feb. 10-11, 2002

Fire crews battling a blaze that destroyed 34 homes as it blackened over 5,000 acres expect to have the fire fully contained later Tuesday.

This was the second time that the Fallbrook amateur radio repeater system had been used to assist the community during an emergency. The first two-meter repeater was constructed by Art Rideout, WA6IPD, in 1989, and the first emergency use of that repeater was during the De Luz flood of 1993.

The blaze, which sent hundreds of residents fleeing for their lives, has blackened 5,240 acres, destroyed about 30 homes, many of them high-priced properties, along with 10 small auxiliary buildings, two fire engines, and a San Diego County Sheriff's Department car.

The cause of the blaze remained undetermined, though residents said trash-burning might have been to blame.

Battling the inferno at its worst were 950 firefighters from the CDF, as well as crews from San Diego, Orange County, Heartland, San Bernardino, Riverside, Camp Pendleton and other California communities.

For more information on amateur involvement and pictures see the
    Fallbrook Amateur Radio Club web site.

2. N9AS

N9AS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the story.  Karen, my xyl has fond memories of her Fallbrook home.  Until last year we owned a house in Fallbrook.

You have reached and touched our lives from FallBrook!

Keep up the good notice to your fellow hams.

Art N9AS Simpson 260

3. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N8WP @ Feb. 12 2002,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Feb. 10-11, 2002

This was the second time that the Fallbrook amateur radio repeater system had been used to assist the community during an emergency. The first two-meter repeater was constructed by Art Rideout, WA6IPD, in 1989, and the first emergency use of that repeater was during the De Luz flood of 1993.

Fallbrook Amateur Radio Club web site.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks for the story...

I was in Fallbrook for the DeLuz flood in '93, when I was stationed at Mainside, MCB Camp Pendelton, and I remember how the HAMs helped the civilian population out tehre. I wasn't a HAM at the time, but I was a member of one of the CB clubs there.

I'm glad to see people in Fallbrook haven't changed, they still lend a hand to those in need.

73 de AB8LR, Chris

4. K3HZ

K3HZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Accept our support from Sydney, the effects of the recent bushfires here is still evident. Even though we've had over 5 inchs of rain since then, the loss of property and fauna remains.
    David VK2CZ

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm a wildland firefighter and wished I could have been there to assist. It's always a joy to see fellow Hams on an incident assisting with communications at the ICP. Hope all is well and safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.