Falconsat?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I currently have my D72A running in KISS mode to my pi4/xastir installation. It works great for local... have the RF interface and IP interaces both up. Been trying to figure out the WX station interface (only reference I can find for xastir is to older serial connected wx stations... been fooling around in that, but that's for a different thread).

In looking to use xastir to hit the few aprs satellites remaining, I thought about setting it up for Falconsat-3. But what I'm looking for are D72A commands to put it in the full duplex mode for FS3 and then back to "normal" mode for terrestrial APRS.

I have all the "packet" commands such as HB (9600 vs 1200) etc that are documented either in this or other threads. But I don't know if the D72A supports commands for say split channel mode (channel A / B) or what frequency (terrestrial vs. standard sat) and some other things.

Been searching around, but wondered if anyone had a link to the "complete" command set, other than what is just listed in the D72A manual under the "Packet" section (which seems to leave out a few things, if they exist)?

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think some of the TNC settings have to be set in the radio's menus, which I listed in a 2017 AMSAT Journal article. Of course the TH-D72 has to be in PACKET96 mode for FalconSat-3 instead of APRS96 mode when using it with software on a computer. When using PACKET12 or PACKET96 on a TH-D72, you have to send some commands when your software connects to the TNC before it will work properly.

KO4AQF wrote an article for the November/December 2020 AMSAT Journal explaining how he was able to use the FalconSat-3 mailbox/BBS system with a TH-D72A. I haven't seen the newer article on the AMSAT web site yet. I think the TNC setup would be almost identical for using xastir as it is for the FalconSat-3 ground station software from AMSAT.

73!

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. KA2CZU

Thanks, you can change 96/12 (should be able to) via HB and then restart, like is documented. I was really hoping to be able to set some of the other parameters via the startup script... but I guess not :(

4. KA2CZU

btw, I just downloaded the new journal, the article is informative... I may give SW a try sometime, just have so many pans in the fire and already have xastir up. So will try direct with xastir first and see how it goes some time. I missed this morning's passes, and may not get a chance for a while(like a week) but will see.

5. KA2CZU

Patrick,

I'm trying to get Xastir setup for Falconsat-3. I used your settings to setup the D72A, but I'm trying to get the TNC into packet96 mode.

There is a xastir reference THD72PCAPRS/tnc-startup.d72-packet - Complete.Org Wiki, which "almost" works.

For some reason, HB 9600 is not putting the D72A into Packet96 mode. There seems to be a "TN" command (not found
    in the D72A "packet" manual, that I can see, but is referenced in the wiki files above) that will put the radio into normal (APRS/Packet OFF) mode, or supposedly can
    be used to put it into APRS or Packet mode. I've not found any documentation and my next step might be to use a term emulator
    to try to connect and play around with it.

But wondered if you (or anyone reading here) has more documentation on this command?

6. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have any more documentation, beyond what was mentioned in KO4AQF's article that appeared in the November/December 2020 AMSAT Journal. I have not tried setting up my D72 with a PC to try FalconSat-3 with the PacSat ground station software available from the AMSAT web site. Using the onboard mailbox/BBS hasn't been a high priority for me, but one of these days I will try it with either the D72 or the TM-D710GA I have.

73!

7. KA2CZU

well, started the PacSat setup, one tool he recommended was gtkterm on linux. Good terminal emulator and I was able to get in and set HB9600 and somehow thought to go back to Xastir, where I started it up and lo and behold the D72A was still in Packet96 mode. So whatever.

Unfortunately, I didn't connect on the last pass, so still have to check frequencies and settings etc. But getting closer.

I think.