Falconsat?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you need to see "PFS3-1*" to confirm a digipeat. I don't think you got in. I don't have the PFS3 kung-fu, though.... only worked it (successfully) a couple of times.

KA2CZU and WD9EWK like this.
  2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ah ok... found it in the log :)

Attached Files:

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that's how it worked. Green for what you transmit, and blue (more or less) for what you receive. Yup, you got through. Good job!

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad I got APRSdroid to work, had setup issues in the past (due to incorrect D72A settings).

At least I could see the other traffic and confirm a digipeat, even if I don't know what everything means :)

WD9EWK likes this.
  5. WB5DXG

WB5DXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to your help, I have successfully worked ISS , AO-91, AO-92, AO-85 and NO-84. So I thought I would try something a little more challenging and try FalconSat-3. Using your AMSAT Journal article and the web page you reference of Andrew Northam I set up my TH-D72A and have worked 4 passes or should I say monitored 4 passes. I only see ?? Pfs3-1, ??Pfs3-11 and ??Pfs3-12 on my screen. And I see a lot of these through out the pass. I don't get any call signs in my message list or station list and I'm not sure my beacon is getting through because I never see "my position". I have searched the internet with Google, both forums on QRZ and Eham, and the AMSAT bb and read everything I can find about FalconSat-3. Also haven't found a web site that lists call signs digipeated by FalconSat-3. I have found a few people that have the same results as I do, but no solution. I found that you and a few others have has successful QSOs on FalconSat-3. Do you have any suggestions as to what I may try or something that I am not doing correctly? It would be great to be able to QSO on FalconSat-3. I get 2 or 3 excellent passes from this bird every day.

Thanks,
    Russell WB5DXG

6. WD9EWK

Glad the information was helpful to get set up on FalconSat-3!

You see those call signs starting with "?? PFS3-" when your radio receives non-APRS packets. The HT is only set up to display the different APRS packets - positions, status, messages, bulletins (messages sent to more than one station), and ignores other packets - even if those other packets have human-readable text.

There are (AFAIK) only a couple of stations that regularly capture packets from FalconSat-3 and put them into the APRS network - W7KKE in Oregon, and K4KDR in Virginia. If you are getting through when the satellite isn't in view of these locations, packets won't ever make it to the Internet. If you go to sites like http://aprs.fi and search for raw packets from PFS3-1, you will see some activity that has made it through to the Internet.

Unless you post on the AMSAT-BB list (or here) of plans to work FalconSat-3 passes, or are a Twitter user where many satellite operators also hang out, the best chances would be to work passes that have better chances of operators - daytime more than night, weekends instead of weekdays. Or for those you know are active, e-mail them to set up a schedule on common passes.

You should also look at NO-84 and ISS, both on 145.825 MHz simplex using 1200bps AX.25 packet. These are more popular. NO-84 passes are in the mornings right now, and ISS passes are starting to move into the evenings. But it would be nice to work you on FalconSat-3. Maybe this weekend?

73!

7. WB5DXG

Sounds good. There is a pass starting tomorrow at 17:00 UTC that I will work. TCA at my location is 17:06 so I should be able to pick it up a few minutes before that.

8. WD9EWK

I will try to be on that pass. My TCA is 1701 UTC, so we'll have a couple of minutes as the satellite is rising on your end to make an exchange. I use WD9EWK without an SSID for my call sign on the orbiting digipeaters. Don't expect to see anything in that part of the pass to be captured by gateways.

You mentioned not seeing "My Position" on your screen. This is, unfortunately, common with FalconSat-3. Especially as you get closer to the east coast, there is a lot of traffic on the downlink. Most of the traffic comes from the mailbox that other users are accessing, and not as much from the digipeater. I occasionally see "My Position" or "My Message" when using my TH-D72 or TM-D710G on FalconSat-3, but that's rare. I don't worry about that, since I'm usually sending my position/comment packets more often on FalconSat-3 than the other orbiting digipeaters.

73!

9. WD9EWK

Were you on that pass?

I was able to see packets out to 1705 UTC, and made QSOs with two California stations earlier in the pass (KK6OTJ in DM04, W6D in DM14). I didn't see your call sign pop up after I worked W6D; just the assortment of PFS3- call signs that mostly come from the mailbox.

73!

10. WB5DXG

I was on the pass but did not see anything, not even the PFS3 call sign. I’m beginning to believe there is something wrong with my setup. This is the second pass that I didn’t see anything. The two passes before that I saw loads of PFS3 call signs. I’m going to check it on one of the simpler sats, but it will be Tuesday before there is a decent pass that I can work. Thanks for listening.