ad: MyersEng-1

Falconsat?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice!

I might try the next FalconSat-3 pass, since it ends a few minutes before an AO-91 pass. Haven't been on FalconSat-3 in a few weeks, and it should be a good pass here.

73!

AI6DO likes this.
  2. AI6DO

AI6DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be on it too. Then will have to choose between coincident SO-50 and AO-91 passes. Nice to have a day off for the important things, like playing with radios.

73, Ryan AI6DO

WD9EWK likes this.
  3. WD9EWK

I'll be outside in about 20 minutes for FalconSat-3. I think I'll go to AO-91 after that, and then on with the rest of the afternoon...

73!

4. AI6DO

Thanks for the QSO on that FS-3 pass, Patrick. You were one of the few, the proud, the preloaded. :)

I was able to receive just one of my own beacon packets on each pass, out of a dozen or so sent on each pass. I didn't get picked up by W7KKE-14 on any of the passes, which is atypical.

I only used this two-radio setup for three passes, but I'm not yet convinced that it's a real improvement. It's quite a bit more equipment to deal with compared to a single TH-D72A. Unlike two-HT FM operating, I need to be able to see and do a lot of button pressing on both HTs, so I can't just leave one on my belt out of sight.

Not closing the book on this configuration just yet, though. Will probably try swapping the roles of the two HTs next time.

73, Ryan AI6DO

WD9EWK likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Yet to pull the trigger on a new HT, don't really need DSTAR, but the multi rig config is interesting, if a bit cumbersome.

AI6DO likes this.
  6. WD9EWK

The D72 and D74 have different uses, and I can justify/rationalize having both of them in my arsenal. Even if I don't use the 222 MHz band, it's nice to have a radio capable of transmitting 5W on that band - FM and D-Star. There are some features in the D74 I rarely, if ever, use. And there are some features in the D72 I don't use. But both radios are very good to have for working FalconSat-3, and other satellites.

For working the FalconSat-3 digipeater, I do better with a one-radio setup (either my D72 or a TM-D710G). Maybe if I had transmit and receive working from software on a computer or tablet, I might go with something that uses two radios for FalconSat-3, where I can focus on the computer/tablet screen instead of the displays on the two radios. As AI6DO found, it takes more work to deal with two radios. You're splitting your attention, sending messages from one radio while monitoring what is coming in on the other radio.

73!

AI6DO and KA2CZU like this.
  7. KA2CZU

If only the d74a had 1.2 GHz capability :)

AI6DO and K6CLS like this.
  8. WD9EWK

I would have preferred 1.2 GHz over 222 MHz in the D74. Then you'd have a tri-band HT that could be marketed worldwide, and there is 1.2 GHz D-Star activity but only one radio currently in production that supports D-Star on that band (IC-9100 with 1.2 GHz module). My guess is that Kenwood was working to make an update of the previous TH-F6/TH-F7 HTs in what became the D74.

In any event, I have used my D74 to work FalconSat-3, side-by-side with another radio or SDR setup on receive. Then again, I had a QSO with AI6DO yesterday using my quick go-to setup for FalconSat-3 (TH-D72 & Elk). I need to break out my TM-D710G and get it on FalconSat-3 again, but that takes a little more to get on the air (a table or trash bin for the radio, battery or power supply).

73!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    AI6DO and KA2CZU like this.
  9. AI6DO

I woke up just in time to make it out the door for the FalconSat-3 pass, and again used the D74 to Tx, D72 to Rx. (I used this config on a pass yesterday too; not sure I mentioned it.) I was able to receive most of my own beacons, which was atypical (normally I just get one out of several) but didn't receive any packets from anyone else. I'm still not getting picked up by W7KKE-14.

I'm don't really see enough improvement by using two radios to make up for the added complexity and setup time. Will likely revert to the single D72 for FalconSat-3 for future passes.

73, Ryan AI6DO

10. KA2CZU

Screenshot_20180913-130401_APRSdroid.jpg So tried a falconsat-3 pass at 12:35EDT, I'm guessing (if I read the logs correctly) that I got digipeated. But only saw BB traffic besides what I take is my own...