Falconsat?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

@WD9EWK: My DIY Yagi is 2m, not dual band (I will check out the link you provided-thx). It seems like that would be okay for the 2m uplink, but wouldn't the setup suffer horribly for the 70cm downlink?

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't be a great performer for 70cm, but you already have it. Just don't transmit on 70cm with it.

W5WTH likes this.
  3. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ready for testing.
    upload_2018-4-23_21-50-44.png

Attached Files:

KA2CZU, WD9EWK and WE4B like this.
  4. WD9EWK

Hi!

FalconSat-3 is still working well. On Friday (1 June), while I was at the Prescott Hamfest in northern Arizona, I did a demonstration on an afternoon pass. Ryan AI6DO and Christy KB6LTY in southern California were on, and I made QSOs with both of them via APRS messages. I went outside a little earlier this afternoon. AI6DO was on again, as well as Joe KB6IGK in Texas. I made QSOs with both of them. I used my TH-D72 HT and Elk log periodic. Despite the large volume of traffic on FalconSat-3's downlink, a bigger radio isn't necessary. FalconSat-3's smaller footprint and unique orbit make for some challenges when trying for longer-distance QSOs, but it is possible with some creative planning.

For those coming late to this thread... AMSAT has the details about the satellite at:

https://www.amsat.org/falconsat-3/

For those using a TH-D72 HT like me, Andrew KE8FZT has a nice page with details on configuring the radio for use with FalconSat-3:

https://andrewbnortham.com/ke8fzt/falconsat/

I wrote an article about working FalconSat-3 with three different radios or radio combinations: a TH-D72, a Kenwood TM-D710G mobile radio, and a two-radio combination (Kenwood TH-D74 HT for the uplink; Windows 10 tablet with SDRplay RSP1 receiver, HDSDR, and UZ7HO's HS-Soundmodem program for the downlink). A PDF copy of that article, which appeared in the November/December 2017 AMSAT Journal, is available on AMSAT's Station and Operating Hints page. Or, if you prefer, the link directly to the article:

https://www.amsat.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/FalconSAT-Stoddard-pdf.pdf

73!

KE8FZT, W5WTH and KA2CZU like this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

so, am I to check if I was digipeated on regular aprs.fi?

Saw a lot of PFS3-1 on the 1541Z pass but of course, nothing in my D72a "List", for whatever reason.

It "acted" as if one of my transmissions was digipeated... ie saw the PFS3-1 flash right after I sent a msg

6. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

guess I'll try APRSdroid again sometime, had that working then for some reason, the programs/ports and/or the D72a seemed all screwed up the last time I tried it (with nothing seemingly encoded / decoded on the phone app)

7. WD9EWK

You can try to look your call up on aprs.fi after a FalconSat-3 pass, but there are (IIRC) only a couple of stations that act as gateways for the satellite. W7KKE-14 seems to be on all the time from Oregon listing to FalconSat-3 as it is near the west coast. Scott K4KDR has also had his home station listening in, but I forget which SSID he uses for that. Without more gateways, it isn't likely that you will show up there from a FalconSat-3 pass.

Especially as the satellite crosses the continental USA, there is so much traffic being transmitted you sometimes miss the "My Message" or "My Position" messages on your radio when FalconSat-3 retransmits your packets. The messages may appear, followed by something else with one of the PFS3- call signs across the top of the D72's screen for the other traffic being sent down. More stations seem to use the mailbox as you move east across the country, compared to out here in the west.

73!

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I monitored the last Falconsat-3 pass this morning using TS-2000, UZ7HO high speed sound modem, and SignaLink interface via the rear ACC jack. Once the bird got up to about 20 deg (lots of nearby ground clutter and trees) I was able to see plenty of packets on the modem monitor screen and also UISS screen. Next step will try to use FS-3 as a digi (I doubt I have enough time to get WISP running). I can tell using an HT to monitor that the TS-2000 is transmitting something on 2M and today's pass verified the SignaLink passes 9k6 data from the downlink correctly. Setting TX level correctly will be hit or miss; I can monitor using a D710 in my car; the local 9k6 activity in this area seems to be long-gone.

WD9EWK likes this.
  9. WD9EWK

Not much 9600bps packet going on in most of the country, so FalconSat-3 might be a good way to get that working. As you saw, there can be a lot of traffic on the downlink, and your uplink can stay put on 145.840 MHz for the entire pass (although tuning up toward 145.845 MHz near LOS sometimes helps in getting through the digipeater).

Good luck with that, and hopefully it is working for next weekend. 73!

10. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! SatPC32 does a fine job steering the radio, so I can tune for doppler on both up and downlinks. Plan B is put the radio on 145.845 with the internal 9k6 TNC, use SDRPlay + SDRUNO + VAC (needs to be configured) + high speed sound modem + EZTerm (gheez, that's a lot of stuff to integrate and Murphy to mess up!). Plan C is pull the D710 out of the car (during FD, of course) and try to figure it out.....(e.g., wait until 2019!).