Falconsat?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, Sep 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually put this contact in LoTW too. :)

WD9EWK likes this.
  2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you'll get confirmation for a contact with 2 rarely-heard Arizona grids. Thanks!

73!

3. KE8FZT

KE8FZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on all 3 passes as planned, despite the freezing rain... Only QSO was K4KDR, saw beacons from W5SAT , K3RLD, W5WTH K0FFY... I dont have the best view to the southwest so I dont think I had much mutual (good) footprint to see WD9EWK. Was able to make a QSO shortly on the AO-91 pass near LOS when it quieted down a little (thanks for the grids and roving).

K3RLD likes this.
  4. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, that's me!

Thanks to the excellent @KE8FZT step by step website on setting up the D72 (https://andrewbnortham.com/ke8fzt/falconsat/) I thought I would give this a try as there was a good pass right after I found the site. Was very surprise to see his QSL? in my APRS messages on line. My D72 didn't "see" it.

Thx @KE8FZT and this thread for the Elmer'ing. I'll keep trying for a round trip QSL.

By the way, this was with the stock D72 duck antenna.

WD9EWK, KA2CZU and KE8FZT like this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope to try the 17:34z pass today (weather permitting.. been kinda crappy today... like 30knot winds + horizontal rain... that sort of thing)

6. WD9EWK

The duckie is a poor antenna for most satellites, and especially FalconSat-3. Had you used a directional antenna, you would have probably received the response. Glad to see you trying another satellite...

73!

7. WD9EWK

Near the end of the 1837 UTC pass, I saw a message packet from your call sign. My D72 showed your call sign with "oM" before it, meaning it saw a message for another call sign. I tried sending you a message, but I think it was too late in the pass for me to get through. Had I brought my TM-D710G out there for FalconSat-3, I might have been able to get some packets through at that point in the pass. None of my packets from that pass were picked up by the two gateways that normally listen to FalconSat-3, W7KKE in Oregon or K4KDR on the east coast.

Even though we didn't hook up on the FalconSat-3 pass, I'm glad I could work you a few minutes later on AO-91.

73!

8. KE8FZT

KE8FZT Ham Member QRZ Page

@W5WTH thanks for the kudo's, hope you make some QSO's soon.

@WD9EWK Thanks for trying, FS-3 is definitely hard, especially with 2 D72 operators. I'm hoping to work FS-3 with my 817's portable soon. Its orbit isn't that great from EN72...

Thanks for the QSO and grids on 91!

WD9EWK likes this.
  9. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks @WD9EWK and I agree about the antenna. I think I just got lucky on that pass.

My DIY Yagi is only tuned for 2m. I need to find some internet plans for a 2m/70cm Yagi online. Anybody have some link slap suggestions? I would buy one, but I'm more of a "screw everything up DIY style first" kinda guy. :)

10. WD9EWK

Sometimes lucky is good. :)

For FalconSat-3, you could try it as is. But for a good design to make your own dual-band Yagi, WA5VJB's document is probably the gold standard:

http://www.wa5vjb.com/references/Cheap Antennas-LEOs.pdf

73!