FalconSat-3 iGate?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K4KDR, Oct 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KDR

K4KDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone. First post on QRZ, but I've learned a lot from what others have discussed on here.

Tonight I added the appropriate lines to my direwolf config file that runs when I'm tracking a FalconSat-3 pass so that it would iGate any APRS packets received. I played back a short section of recording from the other day and everything worked fine - a location packet from NB3T got uploaded to aprs.fi showing my K4KDR-15 iGate as the uploader and "PFS3-1*" as the digipeater.

Screenshot from 2017-10-09 23-10-21.png

That's great, but you can't search for traffic from PFS3-1 since apparently it's never generated a location packet to establish itself as an entity on the APRS network. (an assumption on my part)

Unless there's another way that I don't know about, it seems like it would be a lot easier to identify FalconSat-3 traffic if PFS3-1 was searchable.

Other than someone transmitting a 1-time APRS location packet as PFS3-1 (not kosher, I realize), is there some other way of getting PFS3-1 established on the APRS network the way, for example, that RS0ISS is?

I'm probably wrong about a half-dozen or more things here, but that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance for any pointers!

-Scott, K4KDR

KA2CZU likes this.
  2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

You can see packets sent by PFS3-1 at:

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=pfs3-1

Replace PFS3-1 with any of the other "call signs" like PFS3-11, PFS3-12, or PCTRL-8 in that URL to see other traffic.

VK4TEC has a web site that sees FalconSat-3 traffic as well as the 145.825 MHz traffic:

http://59.167.159.165/satreporter/index2.html

I think VK4TEC is copying packet traffic, as well as accessing the data online, for his web site. Some details on his work have shown up on the AMSAT-BB list.

Before your station started up as a gateway for FalconSat-3, I think only W7KKE in Oregon had been doing that here in the USA. I saw my packets on the Internet through W7KKE early in 3 different passes on 8 October.

Good luck, and 73!

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I sent the findu.com owner (Steve Dimse) an email a few weeks back asking if he could create a CGI that would allow for a "heard by" type listing similar to ariss.net and pcsat.aprs.org, but never got a response.

Ideally, if a CGI existed, all you'd need to do is put in "PFS3-1" into the coded URL and it would spit out all the packets digipeated by PFS3-1. I suspect that since there are only two working instances of this type of engine - that it's a little more involved (perhaps these two webpages are active scripts that are constantly running on Steve's server, rather than passive scripts that run only when the URL is accessed?).

[edit]
    Scott, what hardware are you using for you FS-3 satgate? My 145.825 satgate just went belly up (still can't figure out why, barely even works for 144.39 - I'm thinking there is some local QRM that is killing my reception).

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't see anything on the FindU site where you can make it show all packets digipeated by a particular call sign. I did see something that will show packets from a particular call sign, similar to what you get when you look at the raw packets on the aprs.fi site. Look at the description for raw.cgi at:

http://www.findu.com/cgi.html#raw

You can feed it a call sign and see what has been heard from that call sign. An example of this for PFS3-1 showing packets in the past 48 hours would be the following:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=PFS3-1&start=48&length=48&time=1

Looks like you may be able to tinker with the parameters in the CGI call to get more, or less, data - to a point. I don't think you can get to raw packets more than a few days in the past, so looking up raw packets from last month or last year is probably a no-go.

73!

5. K3RLD

Right. What I want is to be able to list "stations heard by PFS3-1", exactly like the ariss.net and pcsat.aprs.org webpages. Those two CGI's are actually listed in Findu CGI list, but they are not user adjustable - so no way to make the same style page for Falconsat.

6. IZ1JPS

IZ1JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

From Giancarlo IZ1JPS
    Good Evening, Scott
    I kindly ask for some details covering the igate for Falconsat 3:
    - Connectors: Do you use specific connectors for 9600 bps on your TRX ?
    - Antenna: which type? circular polarization? L or R?. I have heard Falconsat 3 with a 6 el Yagi, very good signal but sporadic.
    - Pre- Amplifier: Do you use UHF pre-amp?
    - Call Sign: For ISS and NO-84 I use CQ,ARISS; in this case, should I use CQ,PFS3-1?
    I thank you in advance for your reply.
    Have a nice WE
    Best 73' de Giancarlo IZ1JPS

7. K3RLD

I should note that Andrew (VK4TEC) has gotten his "satreporter" to do exactly this. Not many UHF igates, though.
    http://59.167.159.165/satreporter/index2.html

8. K4KDR

K4KDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings!

My receive and transmit are by different methods for FalconSat-3.

Common Components: Antennas are on AZ-only rotator (EL currently fixed at 30°)
    Rotator controlled by PSTRotator app

Receive: Wimo 70cm X-Quad (wired RHCP) RX antenna to SP-70 pre-amp
    LMR-400 to SDRPlay
    HDSDR software tracks doppler w/ DDE connection from Orbitron
    Audio out from HDSDR via VB-Audio (please remember to allow ~15k bandwidth on audio out for 9k6)
    VB-Audio feeds RX audio to Direwolf v1.4 (Windows) configured as RX-only iGate (K4KDR-15)
    VB-Audio feeds RX audio to UZ7HO HS-Soundmodem offering AGWPE connection on port 8000 & KISS connection on port 8100
    UISS uses AGWPE connection from UZ7HO for RX ("lan-mode")
    HW-VSP3 app creates COM port connection to UZ7HO KISS connection port 8100
    MSPE (one of the WiSP apps) uses virtual COM port for RX from UZ7HO HS-Soundmodem
    PE0SAT/DK3WN Online Telemetry Forwarder app uses AGWPE connection from UZ7HO to forward spacecraft telemetry to SatNogs database

Transmit: UISS uses AGWPE connection for TX to UZ7HO HS-Soundmodem ("ISS-style" APRS packet QSOs)
    Yes, APRS-packets are addressed CQ>PFS3-1
    HW-VSP3 app creates COM port connection to UZ7HO KISS connection port 8100
    MSPE (one of the WiSP apps) uses virtual COM port for TX to UZ7HO HS-Soundmodem
    UZ7HO uses a USB-audio adapter as the Sound Card "Output Device"
    USB audio speaker jack connected to 9k6 data IN connection on Kenwood TM-V71A
    LMR-400 to Wimo 2m X-Quad (wired RHCP) TX antenna
    UZ7HO is configured to use hardware COM port (a USB>Serial adapter in my case) for PTT (via isolation relay to TM-V71A PTT on data port)

... I know that sounds like a lot, but you don't HAVE to run an iGate nor do you HAVE to run UISS if you only want to send/receive BBS files. Alternatively, you don't have to run MSPE if you only want to use UISS to send/receive APRS packets.

Of course substitute in an APRS-capable radio instead of UISS if you are fortunate enough to have one of those nice radios.

I hope that answers your questions.

-Scott, K4KDR

9. IZ1JPS

IZ1JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

From Giancarlo IZ1JPS
    Thanks a lot, Scott,
    The answers are actually exhaustive.
    For ISS and NO-84, and in general for APRS 1200 bps, I am using a software interconnection between UI-View ant MixW; I am planning to change for an interconnection between UI-View and SoundModem.
    I will build a new antenna for this purpose, RHCP, and I will use a UHF pre-amp.
    My problem could be the connection to the TX, because I have not the speaker jack connected to 9k6 data IN connection on Kenwood TM-V71A; I will try to find a solution, otherwise I will use another TX.
    Best 73' de Giancarlo IZ1JPS

10. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

:cool:[​IMG] :cool:
    Grant it...she was flying high above USA when this occurred ...o_O
    KE4AZZ12019-09-20 23:46:572019-09-20 23:46:57KI43AX > EL87WA7646.3 miles 297°2019-09-20 23:46:57