ad: vanity

Fake web pages?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N1OOQ, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So how come search engines now list what can only be described as fake web pages? Search for anything and scroll 5 or 10 pages down, and there they are, with bizarre URLs, and "content" that seems to have been lifted from real sites, for instance QRZ. I saw some stuff that I wrote in here!
    I wouldn't dare click on one, probably launches Wannacry immediately.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The scary part is that those pages are ranked there because their owners gamed the search algorithm, or, enough idiots clicked on them and linked to them to the boost the ranking. This is how completely ridiculous false stuff sometimes gets ranked highly for a while.

Search engine results, like everything else served up on the internet, should be viewed with a bit of skepticism until proven.

3. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of those pages are generated on the spot using your search terms. You have to learn to ignore those results.

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just when you think it can’t get worse...o_O

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

If I knew now what I didn't know then ...

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones that I find interesting are usually from Ebay and Amazon. As an example, say you are looking for information on a "Scrooch Gun". But these are rare and there isn't much information. However, at the bottom of the screen of hits, there is a link from Ebay or Amazon that says "Why of course we have Scrooch Guns!". Of course, they really don't have any. It's just a link to get you on their site.

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS is why I have a dedicated computer with a default load of Linux on it and no data on it. I started doing this years ago. This enables me to search with carefree abandonment. I don't ever remember the last time I had to do it, but it's nothing for me to wipe the disk clean and do another default install. My wife has one also since her Windows computer got infected a few years ago when was searching for "Elementary School Clip Art." The internet is a venue for anonymous evil people.

1. Linux is pretty secure straight off the install disk. (Some are more secure than others--Fedora has SE Linux, based on an NSA security requirement.)
    2. Usually, I get one of two standard malicious attempts: a pop up asking me if I'd like to execute a file ending in "*.EXE" or a web page with lots of RED on it that looks a lot like Internet Explorer with graphics saying "Microsoft" has found multiple viruses on your computer as the counter increases and a list of scary sounding file names increases and a please click "here" to clean them for free.
    3. Most malicious software is written for Windows.

These evil people rely on two things:
    1. Luck
    2. Some sort of emotional attachment to the search subject, or something that is usually easily downloaded somewhere else that people usually need on their computer.

It's a war zone out there! There's no balance between big government control and freedom of speech. The only thing you can do is protect yourself every time you jump in.

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." -- Obi Wan Kenobi

Prescient quote for the Internet if there ever was one.

I have it set up in my browser that if I roll over a link I can see its full URL; it's instantly suspicious when you see a link for discount medicines and the URL points to China, Russia, etc.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

As to why these sites exist, I think many of those that copy content from others are simply trying earn money from ads. I've seen them in technical subject areas, copying content from the likes of stackoverflow.com.

Set up a bot to scrape content, show lots of ads from an ad network. It's probably fairly simple to do although I doubt if they make much money.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like all new for 2020.