Fake Clubs to get 1x2 Callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

My first call in 1958 was KN5UTY "issued" by the fcc at age 7 but it "expired". When I was 13 I took the "General" test and might I add I had to walk uphill both ways in a blizzard in New Orleans, I "passed" and 6 weeks later I got my ticket with the "call" W5CAT issued by fox charlie charlie. I "started" a radio club in college years later. I "provided" the equipment SX101 and B&W 5100 and since the college was "catholic" the procter, Father "Bruce" screened boys for the club. They were good guys, a little jumpy, but nice fellows.

I let my ticket expire and "retook" the test in 1977, 50 years ago. I passed and got K5wTF. I was living in Marrero La and dating a "gal" from Westwego. She was a good cajun girl, spread newspaper out on her desk at "lunch" time to eat crayfish. She was good at suking dem "heads".

In 2003 I upgraded to Extra "special" with the call AG4YO. A "couple" years later, Riley called and said I was being "awarded" the KY5U call for being the oldest license on "QRZ". Me and my wife went out to the "buffet" to celebrate. She calls it the "trough" but she's a high class gal from Pensacola. Took me 3 years to "empty" out all the sand in her. She was packed tighter than a Thanksgiving "turkey".

KC1DRW, W4IOA, W5TTP and 2 others like this.
  2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Us newbs can have issues. Especially if the sender is... a bit... off in sending.

The other night I heard a call starting in D. Great! DX! Hoo-rah! Turns out, it started with a K, dude was using a straight key. Not a bad QSO, but still. EVERY time he sent his call, I heard D. Not K. [Good thing QRZ exists, only took one or two tries to match QTH to the right call.]

You know what'd help on CW? If everyone used the same 2x3 format. I joked earlier about how one could smoosh NTxEEE into KxS: but if all calls were in a 2x3 format (or what have you), if one heard something other than 2x3, it'd be a good indication to listen a bit harder for the missing space.

[Won't happen, and doesn't bother me (much) to deal with variable length callsigns. Just pointing out that fixed length data has inherent error correction built in.]

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an interesting weakness of Morse code used on a noisy channel. Varicode has the same problem, but it's mostly hidden since (most) people can't copy Varicode in their heads. Variable-length characters that only have short spaces as separators can suffer from inter-character synchronization loss if the S/N is poor.

Then again, I spent enough time learning Morse, so I don't want to re-learn CW with new fixed-length characters. :)

4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! Neither would I. I have my '817 in the car, and try to do head copy while driving. Getting very good at hearing RST, FER and a few other common words.

But E has to be the easiest letter to miss. Once code speeds hits a certain spot, my ears smoosh that one into an adjacent letter.

5. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

From the earliest beginning of U.S. amateur radio; Hams have always place a certain value on personalized callsigns. Those with 1x3 calls wanted 1x2 calls while those with 2x3 calls wanted 1x3s. The FCC, for the most part, could not understand why hams placed such emphasis on their systematically assigned callsigns. For years on end; a certain segment of hams wanted personalized "vanity" callsign and the FCC claimed they didn't have the resources to implement a vanity callsign system. Not until 1996 did the Commission establish a vanity callsign program which allowed licensed amateurs to select their personalized callsign from four blocks according to their license class. Group A W,K, and N 1x2 vanity calls are in greatest demand and the competition for those is quite keen. Many newcomers to the hobby will select W and K prefix 1x3 vanity calls as these calls represent an "old timer" in amateur radio. The last sequential original "k" prefix 1x3 callsigns were issued in 1964 in the 7th radio district.

6. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Charlie, you must to have had some good FCC connections to be "issued" 1x3 preferred vanity calls in '64 and '77--LOL!!!. NUTTY, CAT and WFT makes a good laugh! I like your satire!!

US7IGN likes this.
  7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You struggle with the words "other evidence"? That means things like paper logs, valid spots, homebrew items, club attendance, participation in emcom drills- ANYTHING. And yes, I'd take a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign away from someone who can't show anything that shows the callsign hasn't been completely dormant. They would not lose their license, just the 1x2/2x1 call.

They can continue to be licensed in perpetuity for all I care. But I'd make 1x2 and 2x1 callsign retention contingent upon the callsign actually being deployed in the hobby. LoTW is the simplest way to show this and would pass probably 1/3 or more of the renewals right off the bat.

WU8Y and N2EY like this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree! "Use it or lose it".

Fun fact:

There was a time when, in order to renew your license, you had to operate on-the-air for a certain number of hours in the months preceding your renewal application. I don't know that FCC demanded logs or any sort of proof, but it was a requirement for renewal. So, the "use it or lose it" for a vanity call has a precedent.

N2SR likes this.
  9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Still have my original... kinda like a name. Would be weird for me to change it.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KD8OSD, US7IGN and N2UHC like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Recall that requirement but don't recall any logs being required maybe just a certification on the renewal application that you did meet the minimum hours requirement hard to imagine that the FCC ever actually checked or how they would have made that determination.