Fake Clubs to get 1x2 Callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Eh, you may be right. I was just referring to the nonstop complaining people do about other people's vanity activities. It's a pointless system, so why enable further conflict by continuing it? Everybody (FCC included) will have fewer headaches if they just shut it down.

That is very cool.

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

1. WIll never happen without Presidential or Congressional instructions. Wish it would. I know Dean was willing to do this a few years back, I don’t know if he’s still interested. But he’d do a better job, fair to all.

2. Never happen. How would you write the regs? How would you enforce them?

3. Moot point unless someone else manages calls. FCC is trying to reduce their costs & burdens, not increase them. That it would only be for a small fraction of actual or potential calls is not the point; they would most likely not want dual assignment systems, only one.

4. Never happen. The FCC would never bother to check, and would not want the burden.

Not that these are bad ideas, with some tweaking. But so long as we have a government agency that would just as soon that we went away and quit bothering them to actually do their jobs, it ain’t going to happen.

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to reserve my old cb handle: negative one

Eventually ham radio will devolve to bluewaffles and bandits but these will have to be registered. Callsigns dont make any sense in the data age

4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

On 26 May 1959 my Novice Class license arrived in mail, KN9STH. The call was actually "issued" on 15 May 1959 but it took almost 2-weeks for the license to actually be "typed" on the form, put in the mail, and, finally, delivered. In late October 1959, I took my General Class examinations at the FCC office in Chicago, Illinois. The upgraded license for K9STH arrived, in the mail, on 12 November 1959.

During this time period, one had to have a permanent "fixed" station location which was indicated on the license form. However, the FCC would issue "additional station licenses" to those amateur radio operators who had other fixed station locations in addition to the one shown on their primary license.

In September 1962, I went off to college in Atlanta, Georgia ("Georgia Tech") and pledged a fraternity (Phi Kappa Sigma). Although I was not living in the fraternity house at the time, there was a Johnson Adventurer transmitter and a National NC-300 that had been left behind by fraternity brothers who had graduated before. I found these, and a couple of other amateur radio items stored in a closet off of the storage room that was off the "party" room. So, I applied for an additional station license for my station at the fraternity house. The license arrived, as WA4MLI, in early November 1962. Of course, my K9STH was still licensed to my parent's house in LaPorte, Indiana.

After getting married, the station location for WA4MLI was moved first to the upstairs duplex that my wife, and I, rented in Atlanta, Georgia, and then to the house that we purchased in Forest Park, Georgia. My K9STH was still licensed to the Indiana location. Next, in 1967 after getting my master's degree, I accepted a job with Collins Radio Company in Richardson, Texas. At that point I moved the station location of WA4MLI to my mother-in-law's house in Atlanta.

In Richardson, I changed the mailing address for K9STH to Richardson as well as the mailing address for WA4MLI while applying for another additional station license for Richardson. That license arrived with the call sign of WA5STI. Frankly, I believe that someone, at the FCC, decided not to issue WA5STH for some reason.

In 1972, when the 5-year terms of all 3-licenses expired (they had the same expiration date because of all the various address changes), the FCC had done away with additional station licenses by not allowing them to be renewed. Also, the FCC had decreed that every amateur radio operator had to have a call sign from the area in which they lived. The result was that I was awarded W5UOJ a call that had been held by at least 3-others before being issued to me. I was not even given a chance to keep WA5STI as my call.

Next, the FCC did away with fixed station locations on the license and declared that the station location was wherever the operator was at the time of operation. Basically, this did away with the need to have a call sign from the area in which he / she lived.

Then, in the 1990s, the FCC came out with the vanity program. I was on the computer at work and was on the FCC website (I was an in-house telecommunications consultant working on the company's 2-way radio system) when I noticed the start of the vanity program. Therein it stated that a former holder of a call sign would be first in line to get it back. So, I immediately sent in the paperwork for getting K9STH back. However, the FCC got into a situation where so many requests were being made for 1X2 call signs including just how the applications were actually sent to the FCC as well as absolute time of the submissions. As such, the FCC put a hold, that lasted several weeks, on vanity applications.

I telephoned the FCC about my application. When talking with the representative I mentioned that my application had nothing to do with why the hold was put in place and that my application should be processed immediately. The representative agreed and in 3-days my new K9STH license was in my hands. I had regained my original call sign!

Being "out of call area" did not bother me. There were already several KL7 calls in this area as well as a KH6 in addition to a number of other "out of district" calls.

There are quite a number of "snowbirds", people who travel south for the winter months and then go back north for the warmer months, that are also amateur radio operators. The thought of having to change their licenses 2-times a year because they are now "living" outside of the call area of their license, would put a burden on the FCC.

Over time, the FCC had eliminated the need for signing portable or mobile when away from the site listed as their mailing address on the license. As such, today not that many people do indicate that they are outside of their call sign. But, since the location, at least the mailing address, is all over the Internet including this site, there are a LOT of operators who look up the "other" station during, and often before, actually having a QSO with any particular station. That one thing, looking up stations "on-line", negates any argument that one has to know the location of the other station before working that station.

Everyone posting, here on QRZ.com, has access to a computer and a significant number of these persons have a computer right in the radio shack. Therefore, if knowing the exact location of any particular station is that important, those who have a computer in the shack can get that information immediately.

Also, as been pointed out before, the operator, who has a computer in the radio shack, can look up the other station before even making the call.

Glen, K9STH

US7IGN likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You do know that current TECHNICIAN (yes, GASP....... TECHNICIAN!!!!) class licensees can get a 2 x 2 callsign.

Wonder how long it will take for someone to post and tell me that I'm incorrect.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

Technician class amateurs outside the continental US (i.e., Alaska) are sequentially issued 2x2 callsigns.

ND6M likes this.
  8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, being out of call district is a mild annoyance, but the Alaska/Hawaii/islands restricted calls being out of area is a real annoyance, unless the log software does a quick lookup.

There's a fellow in South Carolina with a KG4?? call, and every time JTAlert hears him it goes nuts because that'd be an ATNO for me. I wonder if the software, if it thinks it's a Gitmo call, couldn't check the grid and if it's not FK29, calm down? Similarly for AK, HI, and islands calls..? Hmm...

N4NYK likes this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is that KG4 in SC? Something sounds fishy about that. (Not that I disbelieve you)

ALL KG4 2x2 calls from KG4AA to KG4ZZ were allocated to the military for use on Guantanamo Bay decades ago. That callsign block is listed as one of the “Group X” callsign blocks that are not available to Amateur Radio operators, be it sequential or vanity.

...not that mistakes cant happen. I know of at least one WM 2x3 call that is in use multiple times a year, but the entire WM 2x3 block is reserved in Group X for Military Rec stations — and were never issued to them (along with the WT and WK blocks, amongst others)

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, sure enough: http://www.hamdata.com/fccinfo.html

It makes me wonder why FCC bothers having call groups at all, anymore. The concept of "amateur call sign" is just a string, whose content means nothing aside from the A, K, N or W.

N4NYK likes this.