ad: Radclub22-1

Fake Clubs to get 1x2 Callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to agree with that. I'm "sort of" set up with LoTW but admit I'm still a little baffled by it. Even for those of us who want an electronic duplicate of our paper logs it's both needlessly over complicated and needlessly over-dominated by an organization seemingly more interested in maintaining self importance than in providing an effective logging system (and I am a member, but getting LOTW set up had me shaking my head in a YGTBSM way over and over.)

N6HCM likes this.
  2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

What? Explain a Key in a photo as in any way relevant to winning a current 1x2 or 2x1 luck of the draw lottery.

3. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're just using the current system as it is which is fine.

I've worked a lot of CW in the past and can't say I've noticed a difference in contacts depending on the call sign. Signal strength, antenna, and minimal QRM seems to have made the most difference. Just my experiences.

4. NS8N

NS8N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I noticed the difference as soon as I got the vanity but I was working with a compromised antenna at the time. Today, it probably wouldn't matter if I was sending my original call. Anyways, got a bit off topic. Was just trying to relate why I chose to apply for a 2x1. I agree with OP that lots abuse the vanity system and selfishly keep short callsigns out of circulation for some reason.

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

It goes way back and has gone through many changes. In fact, there was a time when, if you moved across district lines, FCC would try to assign you a matching call in the new district. So KK5JY would get KK1JY if he moved to New England and the call was available.

btw - before WW2, there was no 0 call area, and the call district borders were somewhat different. Some states were split between two different districts. All changed after VJ day.

Wouldn't affect me. I've had this call for 40 years. Sequentially issued in 1977.

But....is there really a problem?

IMHO, there are two issues that are easily fixed:

1) Fake clubs. Easily fixed by a rules change that allows a licensee to be the trustee of only one club, and a requirement that club officers send specific proof of the club actually existing, and the call actually being used.

(If it were me, we'd go back to the system of repeaters having distinctive WR callsigns, too.)

2) Callsign hoarders - folks who get a vanity, hold it for a short time, get another, hold it for a short time, etc., Each new call is then tied up for two years. Some hoarders get a whole string going, and then keep them tied up by getting the old ones back under the "former holder" rule, just before it is about to become available.

Callsign hoarding is easily fixed, and it will save FCC resources too. Here's how:

Change the rules to the following:

1) When someone gets a new vanity call, they have 6 months - not 2 years - to decide they don't like it, and to get their old call back.

2) Once the 6 months is up, the callsign they gave up becomes available to others.

3) When someone gets a new vanity call and the 6 month change-back period passes without them getting their old call back, they have to keep the new call for at least 5 years before they can apply for a new vanity call.

4) There would be one exception to the above rules: If the call of a family member becomes available due to death, qualifying relatives can immediately apply for it and get it. However, once that is done, the relative who got it has to keep it for at least 5 years.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N6HCM and N2SR like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I wasn't clear.
    You implied there is some utility on cw by having a 1x2 to make more qsos and my observation that many who sport those calls don't appear to even be capable of operating cw which makes it appear a false premise, particularly as the difference in call sign is trivial when compared with skill level and power level and signal strength.
    Consequently, were back to why the attraction.

N2SR, US7IGN and N7ZAL like this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quite frankly I never really understood the big deal on call signs....a special call sign for easier CW? Are some people so impaired that they require an easier call sign? WB9XYZ just too difficult to send? Or maybe you don't like the phonetics?
    When I got relicensed I pondered the choices. A good old friend of mine asked why I didn't just keep my original? After all it was an original. Why wear somebody else's call unless it was your Dad's or Grandad's? It's getting to the point that every time I run into a 1X2 I just roll my eyes. Chances of it being original are pretty slim...but most importantly...who cares?

US7IGN and N7ZAL like this.
  8. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. I made no claim about the utility of a call for CW use (call weighting). That was someone else (a fast moving discussion can get confusing). I did trim my earlier response to just quote your response to my earlier "lucky" comment. You have made your thought process clearer now.

I will just add that in my opinion, use of CW - or lack of it, has no place in determining Vanity assignments. I have lots of opinions. That is just one of them.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 2x4’s, and then there are 2x4’s. The “premium” ones are closer to the “stated” sizes.

Of course you pay more for them.

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Clubs with more than 1 call, and trustees that hold more than one call in trust, did so prior to the rule change, and are “grandfathered”

The rule change at the time should have required those clubs and individuals to give up all but one call, IMHO, but it wasn’t written that way.