Fake Clubs to get 1x2 Callsigns

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ2I

AJ2I Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed over the years the proliferation of Ops that create "fake clubs" just so they can get a coveted 1x2 callsign, a "contest Callsign" or just a secondary callsign.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this unethical behavior? How are people getting away with this? Doesn't there need to be an established framework to create a club? Officers/bylaws/meetings etc?

I'm sure the answer will be "this has been going over forever, and nothing can be done"

Basically just a rant, and an opinion that this type of sneakiness is a shame for the people that can't get a 1x2 call. because some greedy person has 2 callsigns

2. 2E0TZX

2E0TZX Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh, much bigger things to worry about.

Edit: Sorry a bit grumpy of me, should have refrained from posting..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    NL7W and WD4IGX like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I want a 2x4

4. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

NL7W, KD8ZMN and K9ASE like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So after planing, you really want a 1.5x3.5 I would assume :rolleyes::D

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, WM2Q, NL7W and 11 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Burt wants a 5x9 :D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, NL7W, KD8ZMN and 10 others like this.
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i agree. when i started my vanity call journey back in march I was disgusted by how many calls were either assigned to a "memorial club", a single trustee, or in limbo due to weirdos switching between a set of callsigns every few years just to keep them out of circulation. I really don't care - my only gripe is how call areas dont matter anymore. . . you should have to have a call from the area in which your station is located. Call areas were implemented for a good reason.

KC3BZJ, NH6MA, NS8N and 4 others like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very preliminary research would seem to indicate that a club membership of just 4 people would qualify as to the document of organization listed don't know if that requires much of an expense i.e. attorney or not.

"To be granted a club station license, a club must have:
    A name
    https://www.fcc.gov/club-stations

Amateur radio while some would like to think otherwise is just a blip on the FCC's radar it's difficult to see them getting involved in this issue even with proof of a violation which would appear to be very difficult since they only have a minimal requirement to be in compliance .

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why people do this (covet 1x 2) callsigns seems interesting. It used to be an indicator of original licensee date but now, it's meaningless.

Where I come from, people used to covet low number automobile license plates as an ego thing indicating you are some important dignitary. Then came vanity plates and it became an indicator only that such people thought it worth paying money to obtain.

Both how seem to be a self-esteem booster. The 'contest call' rationalization seems silly given how trivial the difference makes in a contest contact duration.

W4IOA likes this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AC8UN and NH7RO like this.