Fair to say that most (decent) 2M/70CM HT Antennas have similar practical performance?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by MRBOMBASTIC, Sep 3, 2018.

?

Are all decent 2M/70CM HT antennas of similar length roughly the same in practical performance?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does across town count! :D

2. MRBOMBASTIC

MRBOMBASTIC QRZ Member

Yes, I think so as I communicate simplex with my spouse frequently. We only got our licenses a year or so ago. Am I missing something?

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Deleted_Post.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Fixed thousands of ht's in a commercial 2-way shop.

Very last test was to transmit and look at a simple field strength meter up on the wall.

A 6 inch antenna is a six inch antenna.

Bigger is better for "getting out", but is very hard on the connector.

ASSUMING your antenna is in fact tuned for the frequency you think it is, there is no difference between similar length antennas.

Also, consider the difference in wavelength between frequencies when compairing to a full sized quarter wave antenna, above 430 mhz a rubber duck probably is a quarter wavelength.

Rege

KB0MNM likes this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

3V:

It depends on the "rubber ducky" as to how long the antenna is. Yes, a 6-inch antenna on 70 cm is going to be a quarter-wave long. However, there are those antennas that are just over an inch long that are also sold for 70 cm. Those antennas really stink!

I lost count on how many handheld, and portable, commercial FM two-way units that I have seen over the years. First, my junior year in college, as a technician at the Motorola Service Station in Atlanta, Georgia, next, my senior year when I established, and then managed, the first Motorola owned portable / pager repair facility away from the Schamburg, Illinois, plant, then owning, for going on 10-years, the Motorola reconditioned equipment center for the south-central United States, followed by another almost 10-years owning sales / service companies, and finally as a communications consultant for over 20-years.

I still hate the sound of 2-tone sequential paging!

Glen, K9STH

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna that comes with the UV-82 works the best.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

The telescopic "Hot-Rod" antenna, though seldom seen- was & is a good performer. Short of that ( a longer antenna ), for a given height- most antennas that you would connect to your HT will have the same lousy performance- because they are almost all just a helical ( spiral ) wire coated with an insulator. Some of the truly cheap ones will perform worse, but not by much. The big question is how long the antenna will last until the insulation 'cracks'. That depends on how much sunlight and flex is involved. Sunlight accelerates the aging of most plastics.

9. N4JNW

N4JNW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can verify and attest that the MFJ "Long Ranger" telescopic antenna was awesome on two-meter VHF. I used it on a Yaesu VX-170, and it was a whole other world compared to the stock duck. It's length wasn't practical, but if you wanted sheer range - that thing was a winner.

KB0MNM likes this.
  10. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming back to this thread, I have tested many antennas used on dual band HTs.
    The tests was done on an antenna analyzer and showed 90% of the time the same Duck antenna was no good on 70cm
    even through the antenna came with the radio.
    Some may disagree with this kind of test but the analyzer has the same or more mass as the radio it is used on, and should be as close to the same as the radio for measuring antenna impedance.
    Just a good thing the HT is only powered by 7 volts or the final stage would be in danger from high SWR.
    The HT has no active power foldback system and the RF device is rated well above a 7 volt operating level such that SWR damage almost never occurs.