ad: MyersEng-1

F350 Stake hole and Coax feed thru and access

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K4EEZ, Nov 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

hello all,
    We have bought a new 2020 F350 and wanting to install the ham radio Antenna on the Bed Rail...
    we have a goodlook around on the www. and found that the Puc/Stake Hole Flush mount: https://breedlovemounts.com/store/ols/products/ezn-stake-pocket-bracket-short

(S0 239 Version)

The mount and antenna fit just fine on the top rail, my issues is Routing the coax and hand screwing on the Pl259 to the Base of the mount as, and when i look down into the 'Stake hole' 2nd hole from back windscreen on F350 it appears to be:
    1. Doubled skinned.
    2. Closed in from both sides.

So my immediate question here is How would one route the coax to the base of the antenna mount?

I have the Coax already run from Radio in the cab all fished thru into the bed as the coax comes out of a grommet/access point under D/side Seat/Floor and ran it down Dr. side and thru the so called OEM holes with break cable route to the back of the Cab... used some of that plastic snake/wire wrap stuff along the ways...
    Then,, where the 'Gap' is between the Cab/Bed, i just ran the coax up 'Free Wire' up the gap and under the weather Shroud, and then the coax just flops down from the Corner Dr,/Side Bed, and its coiled up, as i can't process this install any further without breaking out the Drill and a Hole saw...
    The Body is all Aluminum.

Have any of you nice ham out here done this with your F350's?
    How did you fish the coax into the double skinned wall at the stake hole?
    Google/youtube not pulling much info on the 'coax routing' part...
    any advice / pictures link to related post etc welcomed...

2. W0WLA

W0WLA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no experience with that vehicle. Without pictures I couldn't give you a suggestion. You may have to drill a hole in the base of that stake pocket. You might have better luck if you ask in the Technical Forums, Mobile Radio Systems.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a 350 but a 150. Drilling an access hole at the bottom of the stake pocket just above the truck bed would seem to be the only way to do it.

4. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

any time you drill to route a cable the hole must be large enough to install a good quality grommet !
    I drill and carefully de burr the hole and before inserting the grommet fill the groove with silicone caulk( rust prevention)
    then feed the cable through.
    once your cable is routed then install the pl259
    or i use these when i can get them.
    https://www.heyco.com/Liquid_Tight_Cordgrips/

5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Are the rear stake holes out of the question? In the F-150s the holes behind the cab are often covered over. You must cut the plastic bed rail cover to reveal the stake pocket. However, the rear pocket has ample room to route coax and a ground wire to the mount if they are built in similar fashion. Just pop off the cover and take a peek.