F150 or other truck setups

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KI7LLD, Oct 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC2DW

AC2DW Ham Member QRZ Page

Magnet mounts cause more damage than drilling contrary to popular belief. Mag mounts destroy paint. If you wont drill then the lip mount pictured above is the way to go.

K5BBC and KI7LLD like this.
  2. KI7LLD

KI7LLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like a good setup. What is the ACoGV page?

3. KI7LLD

KI7LLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even sure what would happen if my wife came out and I was drilling through the top of my truck.

4. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

. What is the ACoGV page?[/QUOTE]
    AC0GV is on both Face Book and QRZ. The above photos are on the Face Book page.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should ask her and get permission.

If she says OK and you mount a antenna in the center of the roof, You will be a happy camper.

Omni Directional pattern on a roof like yours is excellent and can not be beat.

Mounted any place else will make your truck directional. Sometime that does have a advantage when parked.

Enjoy. I do feal your pain. I did not want to drill a hole in my Lincoln either.

KI7LLD likes this.
  6. K5BBC

K5BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

As my avitar shows, I'm a drill and do it right guy.

As for the topper, I tried several experiments. The only thing that would match on 2m and 70cm, was a dual band that was 1/2 wave in 2m and 5/8 over 5/8 in 70cm. Diamond NR770 or Comet equivealent. That was over aluminum sheet, steel sheet, and no graond plan at all. I eventually put down a copper ribbon pattern of radials +- 20 inches in length. Still can't do anything with UHF other than as described above, but a 1/4 wave VHF antenna now renders a match of 1.4:1. I've made that the APRS antenna.

I've mounted multiple NMO antennas in 8 of my personal vehicles in 25 years. They have never been an issue at trade in time. I've never had one leak. Myself and others have done test to show other hams that, a 1/4 wave properly installed rooftop, will out perform a gain antenna in a compromised location. Even the gain antennas mounted on top, in my experience, don't out perform the 1/4 wave until you star getting into UHF territory.

If your wife has a problem with it, educate her as to why that's the way to do it. She probably doesn't care that holes are drilled for Cable TV and electricity in the house, or her car for AM/FM/XM.

Attached Files:

7. W5TWT

W5TWT Ham Member QRZ Page

these are my trucks. both work great with a kenwood ts 480hx. f150me.jpg 2016f150.jpg

KI7LLD likes this.
  8. KC4IUL

KC4IUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you. No drilling in my truck. Maybe in the bed somewhere maybe. Check out the mounts at
    https://www.breedlovemounts.com/home.html I have a 2012 F 150 and I run 2m 70cm and HF. I don't have any pictures but will take some when my new mount comes in. I'm going to try the stake mount as it will also work with the bigger antennas as I up grade.

KI7LLD likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Trailer Hitch mount is cool. :)

KI7LLD likes this.
  10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is not a F-150, but close enough. Mine is an old (2001) Ford Expedition. I didn't want to drill any holes in the bodywork even though the thing spends allot of time off road or stuck in river mud, has been hit by 2 tornadoes and is rusty as hell. I love my old beat up beast, so no holes.

The antenna mount is a 1/8 inch steel plate that is 14 inches long and 3 inches wide. There are 3 bolts under the bumper cover and one on top to hold the bumper cover down (I broke the plastic hold down tabs). 2 of the 4 bolts go into the bumper bracket. The other 2 into the bumper.

The first antenna stud was a Wilson Beehive stud I found on eBay. I guess Wilson Antennas isn't the quality product it used to be because it failed on day 2. It was replaced by a Francis Antenna Heavy Duty Stainless Steel stud that has proven to be built of the right stuff, so far. The plate we added was because of the different sized holes required for the studs.

The antenna starts out with a Hustler 54 inch mast (with foldover), a TRX Communications 392M Tuning coil and the top whip from a 10M MFJ Brand Hamstik.

Does it work? I don't know. My Rig Expert AA-54 says it should..... I've been trying to get my FT-857 in the truck for 3 weeks. I need the help of my sons because I ain't the man I used to be and there has been too much other stuff going on for them to help me. We plan to finish it up tomorrow and I'm hoping for the best!

2017-10-09 16.20.46.jpg 2017-10-09 16.23.36.jpg 2017-10-09 16.23.40.jpg 2017-10-16 15.36.10.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    MBARG and KI7LLD like this.