F150 or other truck setups

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KI7LLD, Oct 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KI7LLD

KI7LLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

Just got a 2010 F150. Will be looking at putting a camper shell on the back. Anyone else running a camper shell...Where did you end up mounting your antenna? Also if you have any interior photos of your radio mounted that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not try to use a mag mount on the camper shell and you will be ok.

What band of operation ?

3. KI7LLD

Will be 2m and 70cm. Think most of the shells now are plastics so guess mag mount wouldnt stick. Do have one that was on my car that I could stick to the roof but thought I would look for another style.

4. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7LLD likes this.
  5. AC2DW

AC2DW Ham Member QRZ Page

NMO on the roof!

K5BBC likes this.
  6. AC0GV

NMO on the roof is best, but not always practical. I use MNO on the fender with a fold over to get into the garage. I have had my Kenwood TM-710 ham radio in the truck for one year now and feel that it is safe to tell others how it is mounted. Please do not panic when you see that I have purchased items meant for the CB world. If a problem has been solved I see no reason to re-invent the wheel. I’ll post small pictures here, but full sized on the AC0GV face book page.

TM710 antenna.jpg TM710 head.JPG TM710body.jpg TM710speaker.jpg

7. KA9JLM

Yep, right in the center. If not the truck will have a very directional pattern.
    A mag mount will work in the center of truck roof. But drilling a hole is more better.

Drill from the inside out so that you do not drill thru something important. :eek::oops:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  8. KI7LLD

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA drill my baby. Not happening. Will need to find another way in.

9. KA9JLM

I get it, Your wife will not let you. o_O It is OK to fess up.

That is why I run a mag mount. It works fine.

I have a 40" mag.

10. AC0GV

I'M BACK! I meant NMO in the post above, but when I clicked edit, my router died. My 2016 f150 is aluminum and I live in salt country. I am very careful not to disturb the paint. Remember that mag mounts damage paint also, People will not keep their hands off them and always SLIDE them to get a better look. I would drill a hole in the roof before using a mag mount.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017