Extreme Ham Radio hardware mods?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, May 4, 2018.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a lot of hot stuff to fit in a small space. If I were creating one, I would also want to include airband and 1.25m band. You could put the amps in a separate box and hook it up when needed. I would sure like to see this out working in the field.

Why Kenwood? Would you combine several different ham radios, etc.?

Also, applying this concept on a smaller scale, apply this to a laptop! THAT would be a fun sight to see in the future!

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood, because I had it & put fresh drivers & finals. (Well, recycled CB parts)..... Easy to follow circuit for all filtering.atenuation, bandswitching & LPFs. Someday, I'll get the AT working.

Ed

3. KC1DQH

KC1DQH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if this qualifies as a 'mod', but I've tried running psk31 split screen with google translate. With a little practice, you can have a qso in any language that shares our alphabet.
    I also tried feeding audio from the radio into google translate, but that never worked.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    KE7RUX likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

beware of the green wire mod. :rolleyes:

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My most extreme modification involved dropping a 2 meter hand held from the top of a 180' tower (not purposely).

20 mins later when I was on the ground I inspected my modification and it was a 100% success -- destroyed the entire radio, with some pieces landing 10-15 feet away.:)

W5TTW and N2NH like this.
  6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

WIK:

Obviously, the 2-meter portable was NOT a Motorola HT-200!

My senior year at Georgia Tech, when I had established, and then managed, the very first Motorola owned portable / pager repair facility away from the Schamburg, Illinois, plant, I had an almost brand new HT-200 brought in for possible repair.

At the time, the carving of Confederate personalities, was being undertaken on Stone Mountain about 30-miles from downtown Atlanta. Across the top of the ledge, on which the carving was being done, there was a guard rail that would protect someone who was looking down at the work being done on the side of the mountain. One of the security personnel, for the state park, was looking down and the almost brand new HT-200 slipped from its holster and fell down the mountain. The drop was over 500-feet and the HT-200 hit the wall 3-times before hitting the ground at the bottom.

Fearing the worst, the park manager brought the portable out to the Motorola area office in Forest Park, Georgia, where the repair facility was located. I examined the unit. The antenna had been bent, the knobs had been "dinged", and there were scratches on the metal panel that was on one side of the unit. I turned on the unit and there was sound coming from the speaker. Next, I checked the performance. Both the receiver and transmitter were "on frequency", the modulation met specifications, the receiver still met the sensitivity requirements, and so forth.

I replaced the antenna, put on new metal faceplate and battery cover, and replaced the knobs. The park manager was a happy camper! Motorola tried to purchase the HT-200 to put in the company museum where radios that had survived all sorts of things were displayed. The park manager refused saying that the radio had "proven" itself when it fell down the mountain and he was going to keep it.

Force Communications, which was later "bought out" by Uniden, was a "spin off" from Motorola. Their portable units used the same high impact housing materials as were used by Motorola. One morning, I got a call from a client saying that they had a handheld that would not turn off and, since the unit was in the "office", they got "feed back" when using the base station. I asked what had happened. The client was a construction company building a 20-story structure right along a major freeway in north Dallas. This unit had been dropped from about the 12th story of the new building and had landed in a pile of steel beams. The off / on knob had been broken off and the volume was at maximum.

I told them to take the battery out of the unit and that I would come by after the morning rush hour traffic had subsided. All that it took to repair the unit was a new off / on volume control and a new knob.

Now, the Force / Uniden portable that a volunteer fireman put on the rear bumper of a fire truck and then forgot it was there and backed the truck over the portable did not survive!

Glen, K9STH

7. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

A 1:1 isolation transformer will go a long ways also.

KC1DQH likes this.
  8. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you think any of that could fit in a large laptop configuration? Here's an example of someone combining two game consoles together into a laptop configuration. Pretty cool. Too bad I don't play videogames. Now, having an all band all mode with this would pretty cool.

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/playstation-4-and-xbox-one-console-laptop/

Side note: If one had all the money in the world this would be a fun project. I suppose it's just fun speculation and idealism for us normal guys!

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams have been putting radios, amps, and more inside old appliance cases, old wooden radios, computer cases, file cabinets, and more since long before anyone on here was born.
    One well known ham, recently deceased from a disease, built a 4CX10000A linear inside a plywood box.

Its only a hobby and fun, creativity, even outright lunacy is all part of the game.

If it spins your crank then go for it and ignore the naysayers.

Carl

KE7RUX likes this.