Extreme Ham Radio hardware mods?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, May 4, 2018.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KY5U

3. K4DJM

K4DJM Ham Member QRZ Page

...and twas necessary to do so with personal insults? You could have done the same (if indeed that was really necessary) without that. This makes you part of the problem.

Don

4. KY5U

And now you too. But I don't mind. Commiseration loves company

5. K4DJM

K4DJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Did I engage in personal insults? If I did, please point it out and I will apologize...

Don

6. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought about combining a drone, weather balloon, and repeater box together. :)

Thought about combining my IC-706 with the bottom of my car tire when I first got it. (Now I've actually grown to like the radio.)

KE7RUX likes this.
  7. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to try hanging a dipole between balloons. One at the feed point to get the coax in the air and one on each end. Pull 'em apart and anchor them down. A zepp might be fun as well.

KE7RUX and K4AGO like this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet you will fold for a couple of White Castles...

WE4E, KE7RUX and K4AGO like this.
  9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The real answer is Why Not? I have seen pictures in this forum of an IC-7300 built into an old Heath Kit case. It looked fantastic. Just because you don't like modifications does not mean no one should like modifications. Back in the 1980's I built a dedicated packet machine. It consisted of a home built PC with a 2 meter transceiver and a TNC built in. It worked perfectly for years with no interference from computer to radio or radio to computer. It ran 24/7/365 for years until packet lost favor with the ham community. It served our club well, providing mail boxes and a bulletin board system. And just so we are are on the same page here, I HAVE built three radios FROM SCRATCH, not kits, in the last six months. All three were comprised of separate power supply, transmitter and receiver and preamp. Just out of curiosity, how many have you built?

10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Eve had an Apple in one hand and a Wang in the other. After 6000+ years, Apple's are still made the same way. Unrepairable. Wang's on the other hand, well, lets not go there.