Extreme Ham Radio hardware mods?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, May 4, 2018.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your input. That's interesting information. However, as stated by myself twice, curiosity of desiring someone to show their work if they would like to if like to share their modification information (hence the "I would appreciate..." reference) is not intended for insult or demand, but curiosity. I suppose anyone is free to interpret that anyway they want; but to be clear, this is not at all intended to add insult to injury. 73

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    K4AGO likes this.
  2. KE7RUX

3. KE7RUX

That is a super modification indeed. Thank you for sharing. I've always thought that extreme modifications was a good way for myself to break stuff but I was curious to see what others have done!
    When I was still an adolescent a number of years ago, I had a neighbor who wanted to convert his car to a derby car. While they were modifying it, they somehow found a way to mess with the wiring and run the battery dry. No matter how many times they jumped the car, it would almost immediately run the battery completely dry. Even with mechanics looking it over, they never found the problem and they junked the vehicle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KE7RUX

Thank you for your input. I've always wondered what others have done. I really don't intend on preforming any of these mods, but I have heard such descriptions through the grapevine and I wondered how they pulled it off. I suppose I should have worded my original question more in line with my thought process.
    I agree with your 10 year computer vs ham radio comparison. I actually saw a picture of several ham radios loaded into a computer box from 14 years ago. The radios look great. The computer box reminds me of Adam and Eve.
    http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/hamcom/2004/tarma/tarma.html

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you consider taking a pile of loose parts and some copper clad board and "modifying" it to turn it into a radio to be a legitimate example of an "extreme mod", then check out this:

https://aa7ee.wordpress.com/2011/07...-performance-regen-receiver-for-40m-by-n1byt/

Not mine, but it's an admirable piece of beautiful construction, IMO. I've made some small prototype circuits Manhattan style, but not as elegantly as this example.

7. K4DJM

K4DJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Let me point out that you are the first to throw a personal insult at this guy. You should think hard about this in the context of the thread you started on anger management.

Don

W0MSN, KV6O and N2EY like this.
  8. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. "Putting a radio into a computer." Many late model rigs have USB ports for PC connectivity. Software defined radios and receivers are pervasive as well.
    2. "Combining a radio with an amplifier." Some high end rigs have a 200watt output. Personally, I wouldn't want my amp integrated into my rig. If the rig has to be sent in for service, I also lose my amp. If the amp breaks, I'm out a rig. Plus, an amplifier and power supply require a big footprint and can be extremely heavy.
    3. "Combining two radios." I like to combine my Yaesu FTDX3000 with my SDRPLAY SDR receiver. Although the Yaesu has a decent band scope, I like to use the scope on the SDRPLAY through my computer monitor for a better view. Moreover, I can change frequencies on my radio by clicking on the SDRPLAY software display on my PC.

None of these functionalities required hardware modifications.

I hope this helps.

KE7RUX likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There comes a point where it's easier to just build from scratch rather than trying to modify. Like this:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/a-few-pictures-of-the-southgate-type-7.453281/

If you don't intend to perform any mods, what is your intent?

Which proves the point: the computer box was essentially free junk, and repurposed. Nothing of the original computer circuitry was actually used; just the case. Good idea, if the radios fit inside.

10. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page