ad: qroparts

Extracting info from qrz's logbook html page?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by KD5FOY, Jun 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5FOY

KD5FOY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone have an easy method of extracting info from qrz's logbook html page?

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

awk.

N6HCM likes this.
  3. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Export the data to an ADIF file (XML or higher subscription required to activate feature).

Open your logbook; click on SETTINGS then scroll to EXPORT.

N6QIC and W4IOA like this.
  4. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, it's a bit of manual labor, but here's what I do (No way am I going to pay for a QRZ XML subscription. Cost me $49 just to renew my ARRL subscription recently. That's too much already!)

First, go to your QRZ logbook page. In the drop-down list that gives the number of rows. make sure you select the maximum value (right now it's "200"). Then just highlight/select all the rows/columns in the body of the grid. If you've selected "200" for the rows, you can extract 200 rows at a time. Copy and paste the contents into another document, e.g., using Notepad or Wordpad. Save the file. If you have more than 200 contacts, you will have to cut/paste the data one-page-at-a-time for each page.

If all you want to do is export the data from QRZ, you're done. If you want to create an ADIF file to upload to LOTW, here's the rest of the story.

The next step is to run a series of "Find"/"Replace"/"Edit" operations against the data in the source file to transform it into "ADIF"-compatible content.

Here's an example. Let's say you have a line like this in your file:

1 2016-06-12 16:23 WDØT 6m 50.131 SSB DN94vk United States TODD R DRAVLAND

You want to transform it into something like this:

<QSO_DATE:8>20160612 <TIME_ON:6>162300 <CALL:4>WD0T <BAND:2>6m <FREQ:6>50.131 <MODE:5>PHONE <EOR>

Here the first token appearing in your source file is just a line number--don't need it, so just discard.

The next token is the date of the QSO. The date value from your source file has to be transformed from "YYYY-MM-DD" to "<QSO_DATE:8>YYYYMMDD" (can add the "<QSO_DATE:8>" and just remove the dashes from the source date).

Next is the QSO time -- you'll want to transform "HH:MM" to "<TIME_ON>HHMM00" (just add in zeroes for the seconds since they don't appear in the source file).

Next is the call-sign ("CALL:N"), where "N" is the length. You will need to specify either "CALL:3", "CALL:4", "CALL:5", etc., depending upon how many characters are in the call sign. In the example above "WD0T" is four characters so I used "<CALL:4>WD0T".

Next is the band ("BAND"). For my example I used 6 meters.

Next is the frequency ("FREQ:6"). I always use 6 bytes for the freq.

Then comes the mode. For the example given it is "PHONE" (that corresponds to "SSB" in the source-file), but it could be other values for other modes like CW, PSK, etc. You might check an ADIF-reference for the different options

Finally you just add an "<EOR>" for the end of the record.

Repeat this for each/every record in your source file.

If you encode your destination file this way, and save it with the ".ADIF" suffix, it can be uploaded successfully to LOTW.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

$29.95 makes the process easy and helps support the QRZ.com site, which does ( in the immortal words of Gomer Pyle "surprise surprise surprise" ) takes money to operate. I had 600 contacts logged here when I decided to by the N3FJP logging program, decide that a one time donation for the use of the site was a good investment. Both were a good use of money. I log everything through N3FJP now, then export the log to eQSL and LOTW with a simple click of the mouse. Then here at QRZ I simply click the import from LOTW and all my logs are posted here for those who use this system. Less than 5 minutes to do all, a good use of time to provide a courtesy of QSLing electronically.

PD5DJ and N6QIC like this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How did you create your qrz logbook? Manual entry for each contact inputted to qrz?
    Might be time to rethink that approach and use a logging program to create ADIF files then you are free to do pretty much what you would like to do at will.
    (Or simply upgrade your subscription and let qrz create your adif ).

I use Logger32 and enter my contacts into it manually. No computerized radio here. It generates the adif file then I can upload to qrz, LoTW, eQSL, etc. Can also parse logs for contesting etc. I don't think (not 100% sure) you have to have an upgraded subscription to use the qrz log to simply Import adif logs. But you do for downloading and synching to LoTW.

N6QIC likes this.
  7. K0KB

K0KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My goodness. Heaven forbid the owner of QRZ be compensated for the time and money he has invested in this resource that you have clearly enjoyed, benefitted from, and made good use of. Just look at all of the photos and stuff you have on your "profile" page. Yeah, it would be so unreasonable to pay a fee for the use of this site.

PD5DJ, MM0LID and N6QIC like this.
  8. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. Perhaps I was being unreasonable. Please feel free to disregard anything/everything I said.

W4IOA and N6QIC like this.