ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD0NZL

KD0NZL Ham Member QRZ Page

i just ordered Gordon's CD course too so I can listen at work. I want to do well and also understand the info. I also realize that the real learning comes after I get the license through years of experience but want to do as well as possible on the test.

2. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I basically memorized the License manual for Novice, General, and Advanced tests. But when it came to the Extra, I vowed that I was going to actually try to understand the stuff I was parroting. While it took me longer to research the things I didn't understand, I certainly did learn a lot. I'm no EE, but I learned enough studying for the Extra to get a job as an engineering tech for a microwave company, and worked there for several years, and went on to a long career elsewhere. Only you can decide at what depth you want you want to feel comfortable. For me, the cutoff was math formulas requiring more than trigonometry. But I would encourage you to try to actually grasp as much as you can. You will never regret it, and it might be something you find useful in the future.

I also discovered that after earning the Extra, I could sit through lectures on many topics and actually understand them. The mysteries of designing things like solid state amplifiers weren't as mysterious anymore. That, alone, made it worthwhile. One of those lectures led to a 33 year career for me, too.

So, now's the time to become an expert, like Extras are supposed to be. Take your time with the material, and if you can't get it, ask somebody!

3. AF4LY

AF4LY Ham Member QRZ Page

I just passed the Extra on Saturday July 14. It took me about 2 months on and off of studying. I passed the Advanced test when I was 14, but that was a long time ago. What I did for this test was read through the book once for understanding of the material. Then I got the ARRL Q&A manual a few days before the test and went through chapter electronic theory, components and practical circuits three times. The other chapters I just went through once. Passed the test with an 88%, missed six, actually worse than my Advanced class test score, lol. I got a 94% on that one...hehe.

The trick for any exam is to read the ARRL License Manual once for understand. Make sure to review the questions after each section. Once you are done reading, go through the questions 4 times and you should be good. Did that for every exam except for the last one. For the Extra, the ARRL Q&A Manual, which you can get on Kindle is pretty helpful it goes through each question in the pool, gives the answer and explains the answer.

Finally, whenever I finished a test I would go back and read through the book again--that keep me from forgetting it once I upgraded.

4. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tech and General were really easy, I studied for a couple days and passed both in one sitting. Extra seems like I'm going to have to work for it a bit. So much of it is familiar from school, but school was like 34 years ago.

Not to mention all the new stuff, I feel like I'm an analog guy in a digital world.

5. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

The key to amateur radio is not to study the material and learn the material long enough to pass the test. But to study the material and apply yourself.
    If you apply yourself, when the time comes to talk on the radio - you can understand what the other people are talking about and can make educated comments.
    This gives you a better understanding of what you are doing when you connect a transceiver to a piece of coax to a antenna and broadcast your signal 100's and 1000's of miles away.

The people who only memorizes the answers long enough to pass the test, usually doesn't amount to much, reguardless of the class of license and most of them do not even renew their license when it expires and some just has the license as a red badge of courage.

Having a license and then never operating on the radio would be like opening a rare bottle of wine and then not drinking it.
    First - it probably isn't going to keep once it has been opened.
    Second - you just wasted a rare bottle of wine and the persons time who gave you the VE exam and the money you spent to get the license or upgrade...

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Study the material, take practice tests, study questions you missed.....repeat. THat is what I had my son do for his tech. I took the test almost 20 years ago (still required code) and being BSEE no problem technically, but the obscure rules and questions on RTTY/Satellite/other modes I don't use almost tripped me up. I took the test cold and passed, but would not recommend that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.