ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD0NZL

KD0NZL Ham Member QRZ Page

So I picked up the book and started to study for my extra class. I have a buddy studying for his tech. he wants to have a contest, the lowest test score buys dinner. I told him to make it fair he would need to pass tech and general and then average the scores. I cant believe how much more difficult this extra class material is, i'm pretty sure I will be buying dinner. I'm ok with that though if it means he gets his general.

any extras have any tips to make the learning a little easier? resources that were very helpful besides just the practice exams here? etc.

2. KC5FM

KC5FM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might look at the Southcars group. They have had and, in the near future, will have an Echolink and IRLP study group for the Extra on the 96140 Echolink conference and the 9614 IRLP node.

They do a good job of reviewing the question pool and giving one the REASON why the correct answer is what it is and why the other answers are not.

Hope that helps.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good to know. I get a lot of requests for online courses, since I teach the local Tech course. I am trying to get set up to offer it via Skype, too.

For the OP - it's been ages since I studied for the Extra, but I found the ARRL Handbook to be a great resource. The Antenna Book would also be a good resource. You'll find a little more in-depth information there than in the License Manual. Check your local library if you don't have them already. When I studied for it, Bill Orr's Radio Handbook was also useful, though it was a bit deeper than needed for the test. The way I used these books would be if I encountered a question (back in those days, we only had 'sample' questions) I didn't understand, I'd go read the section in the handbook that covered the topic. That usually answered the concern. These days, with the Internet at your fingertips, you should be able to find reasonably accurate explanations for about anything pretty quickly. Wiki is your friend.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It took me almost a year after a got my general. I used the ARRL extra Class study guide. I also used Hamtestonline, and the tests here on QRZ.

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a formidable task for someone who doesn't have any technical background, not impossible though. Good luck and with dedication you will get there.

I have a lot more admiration for someone who works in a totally non related field, yet studies for and passes the Amateur Extra class exam, because of where they have come from.

6. KK6RF

KK6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Which book did you pick up? The ARRL license manual is a great place to start. The ARRL just released a new 10th Edition for the July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2016 question pool. (ISBN 978-0-87259-517-0.) I used the ARRL license manual and the QRZ/eHam practice tests. Also, this circuit simulator was very helpful:

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/

Rob, KK6RF

7. NO1SY

NO1SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the eham.com practice exams took the test then read only the correct answers to the questions I got wrong. Did this for 10 days a couple hours each day.Passed all three in one sitting.Granted this provides the ticket and not the skill.That will come with years of experience.

8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Matt,

I first read through the entire question pool and then started taking the practice tests available on QRZ.com. Once I was consistently scoring 90 percent or better, I knew I was ready for the real thing. That only took a couple of weeks, but I had to wait a little longer because code tests were still part of the upgrade. Getting to 20 WPM too a little longer. During that time I still did the practice tests to make sure I remembered everything. In the end I took, and passed, the Advanced and Extra written tests and the 20 WPM code test in the same session.

As Sue pointed out, if you don't have a technical background, understanding the test questions is a little more difficult, but not impossible. There is a lot of pressure on you when your taking the tests, but if you prepare well, it shouldn't be any problem. I personally found that it was easier if I first eliminated the answers that couldn't possibly be right. Then decide which of the left over ones were correct. Good luck with your upgrade.

Martin - K7MEM

9. KD0NZL

KD0NZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the new 10th edition and also Gordon's book for the new question pool. thanks for all the responses guys!!!

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wifey passed using the Gordon West book, CDs and some outside tutoring. I just memorized all the questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.