external speaker recommendation for FTM-100D needed

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE0DWG, Oct 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE0DWG

KE0DWG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased a Yaesu FTM-100DR dual band mobile and I find the speaker lacking. I have it mounted to the desk in my basement for base station use and it is hard to hear over my kids and the adjacent laundry room at times. The radio appears to have a 3.5mm output jack and I tried to hook up some PC speakers but I could barely hear the audio. Any recommendations for an external speaker other than the $45 Yaesu speaker?

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Motorola communications grade mobile speakers. Can often be found at hamfests or on eBay for anywhere from $5-$40 used, sometimes in huge piles. Bomb proof and great com audio. Typically rounded or square. I've got five for use in the car and around the shack. A good large speaker is worlds better than the tiny speakers the radio has.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do the same as KB4QAA. Those can't be beat. I recommend looking up the Motorola part numbers for the 8 ohm versions and have them handy when you are shopping. These speakers come in many models other than 8 ohm.

KB4QAA likes this.
  4. KE0DWG

KE0DWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies. I found an 8 ohm version of the square Motorola speaker in our surplus police equipment at work. I need to change the double pin connector to a 3.5mm plug to give it a try. It maybe in the pile for a reason...

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

X 2 !!

I really like using the amplified version. (Model # HSN1000B)

Nice and LOUD yet clear as a crystal glass.