External speaker problem Yaesu FTdx-1200

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AI8Y, May 31, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AI8Y

AI8Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone had trouble with loosing external speaker audio from this or any other rig? The headphone jack is working fine just nothing from the speaker
    Pleas let me know. 73 AI8Y

2. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you plugged a speaker into the headphone jack then I would guess the great impedance
    difference causing something to happen.
    If plugged into the external speaker jack, I am not familiar with the 1200.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you look in the manual ?

That radio may have a way to turn the external speaker on and off without needing to unplug it.

I would check in the manual to see if that is the case. I do not have the manual for that radio.

Good Luck.

4. DRBEN

DRBEN XML Subscriber

The headphone jack on the front panel is a standard 1/4-in. 2 or 3-contact headphone jack. When headphones are plugged in, the internal speaker is disabled. The front panel jack is NOT for an external speaker.

The rear panel has a dedicated jack for an external speaker. When in use, the internal speaker is muted.

"EXT SPKR Jack. This 3.5-mm, 2-contact, gold-plated jack provides variable audio output for an external loudspeaker. The audio output impedance at this jack is 4 - 8 ohms, and the level varies according to the setting of the front panel [AF] knob. Inserting a plug into this jack disables the internal loudspeaker."

When purchased new, the rig comes with two 3.5mm plugs. One can be used for an external speaker and the other for the the optional FH-2 remote controller keypad.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the Operating Manual a option on those ?

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming (I know, my bad) you ARE using the external speaker jack (and not the headphone jack) I'd first suspect the cable or cord that connects the external speaker to the radio as being faulty.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Another silly thing to check - my Yaesu speaker has a mute button on the front, and an input select switch. If yours is also a Yaesu speaker, just make sure you haven't hit the mute or select buttons :)

My wife used to silence my radio that way if I left it playing - sometimes she'd hit mute, sometimes the input switch - whatever it would take to silence it LOL! So that got me a few times in years past. She's now a ham herself and knows how to actually operate the radio so it no longer happens - she just turns the gain down.

But just thought I'd toss that out there

Dave
    W7UUU

8. AI8Y

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. AI8Y

No I did not plug an external speaker into the headphone jack! There is no audio being heard from an external speaker when plugged into the external speaker jack. There is also no audio being heard from the radios internal speaker, the only audio there is, is coming from a set of headphones plugged into the headphone jack. I will check to see if the manual has a function that turns the non headphone audio off.

W8ARD and WA7DU like this.
  10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I am confused...when you unplug the headphones do you get audio out of the speaker?