External monitor for the IC-7610

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA5ROW, Dec 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wired up my 23” monitor to my ic-7610, but I lose my computer monitor. I do not want to buy a new monitor, what kind of switch do I need to switch back and forth. I know they make them because I had one 20 years ago. My ASUS Radeon 670 video card has two DVI-D sockets. High dollar card in its day. That also tells me that maybe I can switch from the computer. HELP Please.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, that should do it the way it's designed.

4. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Data switches, A/B, on ebay...you pick the one with the connectors you need and can switch between A or B input...

5. N9LOX

N9LOX Ham Member QRZ Page

The keyword you're looking for is "KVM Switch" which stands for Keyboard/Video/Mouse. All you care about is the video part, obviously, but that's fine.

The trick will be finding one that switches DVI and not the old analog VGA or the newer and more common HDMI style cables. The device linked above by KD8OSD will not work because those are analog VGA connectors and your devices (the monitor and 7610) are DVI.

I think that this guy from Monoprice will do it. It has physical buttons so you can switch without needing to have a keyboard plugged in. Just route the video and ignore the keyboard/mouse ports.

You could get super-fancy with this device (for a lot more money) and switch your computer's USB keyboard over to the 7610 along with the video. Looks like the Icom supports an attached keyboard, but I don't have any idea how useful or desirable that is in actual practice. If you've ever been tempted to plug a keyboard into it, then using a KVM to switch might be worth the cost. The cheaper one I linked above won't work because it is only for the older PS/2 style connectors that nobody actually uses any more.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  6. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

dvi kvm's aren't worth the money. you can pick up a new 23-24 inch monitor for $99 all day long

KE6GAC likes this.
  7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with this...to have a nearly $4K radio and then a clunky manual switch between the PC and Rig displays on a single monitor...seems like a strong disadvantage.

Maybe a single larger display and have the rig on one side and the PC on the other?

To each their own I suppose...and of course I don't know the limitations on space and other things.

8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i havent used an external monitor with my 7610 (i cant think of a good use case to do so) but if I did, I would purchase a 3rd monitor and put it on a mount above my other monitors...

9. KJ2S

KJ2S Ham Member QRZ Page

what is the best monitor to use with the 7610

10. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oops, zombie thread...