ad: M2Ant-1

Extend PRB-1 with H.R. 4720!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA4PC, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA4PC

AA4PC Ham Member QRZ Page

You CAN make a difference! Click below to write your congresspersons about H.R. 4720.

Using this link, ( Write your Federal Representative on H.R. 4720 NOW!!!), you can write electronically if your representative has e-mail. It will need your Zip+4 zip code to locate your area's representatives. If it appears to be giving you an error, just fill in your zip code and GO!

Assistance with the correct addresses are given when your rep has no e-mail address. Encourage them to get e-mail if they don't too!

To find more information on H.R. 4720, see The ARRL H.R. 4720 Article

The following is an open letter written to my Senator, and posted as a possible template for your comments. I release the letter itself into the public domain for your use if you wish. If you want to use it, sign it as the writer and SEND it to your Senator and Representative SOON!
    __

May 18, 2002

[FILL IN YOUR REP'S NAME HERE!]
    United States Senate
    225 Dirksen Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510 3306

Re: H.R. 4720

Dear Sen. [YOUR REP HERE!]:

Please support the Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act.   H.R. 4720.
    While DSS (direct satellite systems) are protected by PRB 1, Amateur Radio operators are given no leeway in areas where CC&R restrictions are making it difficult or impossible to communicate by radio.

Radio communications are essential to many aspects of our nation's military and homeland defense. Amateur Radio operators (licensed by the FCC) assist the military as well as military and private vessels at sea.

A large percentage of Amateur licensees are unable to participate in M.A.R.S. (Military Affiliate Radio Systems) and MMSN (Maritime Mobile Service Net) systems because they cannot place effective antenna systems on their own property. This bill will provide relief to these Amateurs and allow many more Amateurs (commonly called "Hams") to be able to assist those in need of relief or disaster communications. Amateurs train and work diligently to practice emergency communications at their own expense. To deprive a large portion of them from actualizing these programs is terribly unfair. It is especially unfair because DSS systems have exemptions for receiving paid services, but volunteer communicators have no such exemption as delimited in PRB 1.

Please encourage your fellow legislators to support H.R. 4720. President Bush has recognized Amateur Radio as a viable resource in emergencies by actually checking in on an Emergency (during a practice session) Net. Please check the http://www.arrl.org site and read about the ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) as well as other aspects of Amateur Radio. I am sure you will find that we "Hams" are an untapped free resource that needs to be recognized and addressed more than the for profit DSS industry. (DirectTV, Dish Network, and others.) Please support Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act.   H.R. 4720.

While DSS (direct satellite systems) are protected by PRB 1, Amateur Radio operators are given no leeway in areas where CC&R restrictions are making it difficult or impossible to communicate by radio.

Radio communications are essential to many aspects of our nation's military and homeland defense. Amateur Radio operators (licensed by the FCC) assist the military, on occasion NASA, as well as military and private vessels at sea.

A large percentage of Amateur licensees are unable to participate in M.A.R.S. (Military Affiliate Radio Systems) and MMSN (Maritime Mobile Service Net) systems because they cannot place effective antenna systems on their own property. This bill will provide relief to these Amateurs and allow many more Amateurs (commonly called "Hams") to be able to assist those in need of relief or disaster communications. Amateurs train and work diligently to practice emergency communications at their own expense. To deprive a large portion of them from actualizing these programs is terribly unfair. It is especially unfair because DSS systems have exemptions for receiving paid services, but volunteer communicators have no such exemption as delimited in PRB 1.

Sincerely,

[YOUR NAME GOES HERE!]

2. N8YV

N8YV Guest

Might I suggest...?

Rather than e-mailing your representative, try FAX instead. Usually local offices are much more likely to find your letter than they would in e-mail. Or, send it signature confirmation via USPO. Bound to get more attention than e-mail!!

3. KB9E

KB9E Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, how many people are actually going to read that text before cutting and pasting it to realize that the paragraphs repeat themselves?

It's good verbiage, just needs a little TLC and touch-up.

I'm sending mine out tonight!

Gregg/KB9DBC

4. KF4OUI

KF4OUI Ham Member QRZ Page

I already sent my e-mail! I am not part of any homeowners ASSociation (aka communism) but I know hams who are.

I noticed you sent the letter to your senator. This is not at all a bad thing, but remember that the bill is still in the house of represenitives. The first wave of letters must get to your represenitive, the only way it will go to the senate is if the house passes it. Also send a letter to the proper committee (I believe it is the energy and commerce committee). Furthermore - there is a sub-committee for "internet and communications". It is this sub-committee where the bill will be sent on for a full house vote OR "tabled". The committee chairpersons should also recieve a letter from hams, and if you really want to go crazy send the individual members of the committees letters as well. Cut and paste is a wonderful thing.

Round two of the letter campaign will be the Senate, round three is The White House.

As for the whole "snail mail VS e-mail" thing, I do not think it matters very much. I think there is some sort of law which requires members of congress to log all correspondence. After all, there is a reason that we taxpayers foot the bill for their offices and staff.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

5. AA4PC

AA4PC Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KF4OUI @ May 21 2002,17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I noticed you sent the letter to your senator. This is not at all a bad thing, but remember that the bill is still in the house of represenitives.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I wrote them ALL, both my House and Senate representatives. They all had e-mail except one, and I spent the 34 cents on a stamp.

I was working on the theory and practice that some legislation gets introduced in both the House and the Senate. [​IMG]

And yes, I noticed I repeated some of the paragraphs,  not to be redundant, but to stress the point made. Perhaps it would be better without repetition, it's just the way I did it.

73 and take some action, it's the only way to get anything done!

W4HTX

6. KE0VK

KE0VK Guest

I e-mail my Congressmen all the time. I always get 100% response.

E-mail is the preferred method of contacting any of your Reps since 9/11 and the Anthrax episodes.

Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Your e-mails will not go un-noticed.

73,de Scott,KE0VK

7. KE0VK

KE0VK Guest

Here is the above message with the required edits. Copy and Paste,then edit in your information.

Re: H.R. 4720

Dear Congressman Latham,

Please support the Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act. H.R. 4720.

Radio communications are essential to many aspects of our nation's military and homeland defense. Amateur Radio operators (licensed by the FCC) assist the military as well as military and private vessels at sea.

Please encourage your fellow legislators to support H.R. 4720. President Bush has recognized Amateur Radio as a viable resource in emergencies by actually checking in on an Emergency (during a practice session) Net. Please check the http://www.arrl.org site and read about the ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) as well as other aspects of Amateur Radio. I am sure you will find that we "Hams" are an untapped free resource that needs to be recognized and addressed more than the for profit DSS industry. (DirectTV, Dish Network, and others.) Please support Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act. H.R. 4720.

Sincerely,

Scott L. Bechler
    313 Main Street
    Apt. E
    Ida Grove, Iowa
    51445-1327

Be sure to add your full mailing address like I did...Phone # optional...in order to get a response on the issue by mail. (This usually takes a couple of weeks...but you will get one.)

73,de Scott,KE0VK

8. K8GA

K8GA Ham Member QRZ Page

At the Dayton Hamvention "Antenna Zoning" forum it was suggested that at a minimum one might sent his QSL card to his Rep with the note:

"As a constituent I urge your support and sponsorship of HR 4720, 'Amateur Radio Emergency Communications and Consistency Act,' introduced by Rep Israel of New York."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.