ad: portazero-1

Exposing Amateur Radio to the Public A Case for the Public Library

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KR9T, May 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Our best patron was our most recent patron." Sure, you people and ladies would be a nice addition, but we know from examining our WHOLE HISTORY that ham radio is most attractive to men, and nowadays, older men. The library idea is great, and I would support such for it's exposure to younger males. But like so many other plans, it ignores the proven because the new sounds so attractive. You want continuing participation? You need to put your efforts into a "55 and over" seniors community center or community where you can find active retirees. At least that's what I think.

KA4TMT likes this.
  2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a library lizard since the 1960's and much of what I wanted to learn about electronics and radio, including ham/SWL radio, was from checking out books. Every city I lived in (including the Library of Congress and Harvard U.) had many books on the subjects.

But after I got on the internet in 1991 I eventually stopped going to libraries by 1996. Many/most people have done the same.

Before I stopped going I did notice a downward trend in the number of people checking out books on science, technology, etc.

When I was really into astronomy in the 1980 and 1990's we brought allot of people in both young and old via public library demonstrations.

Maybe ham radio can do the same. Set up a show and tell thing.

The only downside is that virtually no one is going to libraries anymore, so maybe that ship has sailed.

I think that to much emphasis is put into attracting the young people. We should also try to introduce the hobby to people in their 50' and 60's because they are nearing retirement age and have the $$$ and non HOA housing to get into the hobby.

3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Exposure to "amateur radios" and radio technology may result in curious interest among a young or female demographic.
    But, exposure to "radio amateurs" and the toxic male sub-culture in ham radio has the opposite effect.

Even among young engineering and science nerds, there is a distaste for narrow viewpoint crotchety frozen-in-time technology status quo that is prevalent among many radio amateurs.
    One needs only to read the postings of the QRZ website to see how pseudoscience, anti-science, and opinionated voices are championed while actual science, technological advocacy advancements, and factual information is suppressed.

Conclusion: radio amateurs themselves have become the worst enemy of amateur radio, and more exposure has a null effect.
    After more of the older generation goes silent key, newer generations may be able to build a better ham radio culture.
    Perhaps amateur radio will survive our present crop of radio amateurs.
    Perhaps not.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    N3FAA, K3CL, VE3GCX and 4 others like this.
  4. KC3EWA

KC3EWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Only if you want the future of the art to be sound. Otherwise, just stay at home in your shack and allow the art to die. Simple as that!

5. KC3EWA

KC3EWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie, I can do nothing but agree. I am a history nut, and that extends to Radio. I have read about our fellow amateurs of the past seeking to have an operating practice of the highest grade and to welcome newcomers, and I have instituted that. I always try to help new folks with gentle, paternal guidance and am nearly paranoid about the quality of my operation. The group of loud, toxic individuals who dominate the public perception of Radio are the antithesis of that. The first time I ever heard anti-scientific and outright racist opinions with my own two ears was in the local radio club. I predict that in 15-20 years, after the passing of these toxic individuals and clubs filled with them, Radio will experience an incredible renaissance.

KQ6XA likes this.
  6. KD9ORR

KD9ORR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, NSRC, for this project! I absolutely plan on visiting the Northbrook library once things are safer to utilize the station. HF isn't something that seems attainable at all to a lot of young hams at first, especially those of us living in urban areas (even if there are options, the barrier to entry is still there.) I think this is exactly the kind of thing that will foster new amateurs and I can't wait to see how things progress. ILYH will be sending people your way.

7. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that the Public Library is on the way out. We have sidewalk book stops in several places around town and I am seeing more library books that have been removed from service showing up in them.

8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

A great idea. I like the parallel presentation of a modern SDR-based transceiver alongside a basic rig, because it is often the case in (and an underlying basis for) libraries, that some may not be able to afford what it is they seek.

Another vitally important aspect is that the people operating such stations don't just start to see it as 'their' station they can spend a morning using at the library, rather than actually selling the hobby to the public. And an extension of that is the station shouldn't be seen as a justification to make it ever-more contest capable so that a handful of people, not the intended audience, benefit. I've seen all these things happen, and it eventually serves only to dissuade people from joining in.

WA8Y likes this.
  9. MW1CFN

No, you misunderstand. Libraries regularly and constantly dispose of stock. It's a necessary part of library management. Getting them to sidewalk sellers and others is therefore no surprise, is much better than throwing them in the bin, makes a small amount of money for the library AND is not at all an indication of libraries being 'on the way out'.

W5ESE likes this.
  10. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let me explained what I did here in Dallas...I went to the high end private school, and did show and tell, with Ham radio, however, I " Re Banded" Ham radio. Like Steve Jobs, he did not invent anything, he just re banded the same technology.

There are young adults destine to be Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers Engineers and many other careers. The challenge is to show the children who are destine to be engineers a way to channel their interests via Ham radio.

I used a certificate called "Communications" however, you could only receive communications around the world.. That was exciting enough, but when i showed them they could "TALKED" back to the DX Station, that would spark enormous interest. But I did not show them you could transmit until they passed the 'Communication course" . I had Hams all over the world, set up to communicate with the young kids, from VK, CN and SV..and many DL and G stations / (FYI Used a K4KIO Hex Beam with small Mast))

I used plenty of math as well, (Antenna & power / Link Budgets), and software to predict when you could hear the distant station (DX), I used VOACAP, and when they passed the Communication certificate, we used PSK reported to verify are station and then spoke to the DX

Ham radio will not grow attending to Ham Clubs (And find the average age is about 55). We have to have a marketing campaign entering into channels where the young will embrace. Meanwhile, you have to "Re Band" by using a different type of certificate, "Communications Certificate" and then expose them to Ham Radio. This is what I did when my son (Ki5FJE), was in these schools.

Most young adults never heard of Ham radio, and worse the parents thought it was dead Ham radio.

After I gave the show and tell, I had real good response, as of a matter of fact there was an equal amount of Parents entering Ham Radio as young children...

ARRL should have a new certificate, "Communications" and a marketing campaign entering the channels, (Like private schools). It works....ARRL, should provide a mission statement asking the Ham clubs to target monthly to channels where the young adults are..(like Private schools, and do a show and tell, along with offering a certificate "Communications"

On a side note: Private schools were acceptive of Ham radio / communication course / certificate. The public schools, are difficult, way to bureaucratic.

NN2X / Tom Wright

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    WA8Y and K4FMH like this.
  11. M0KLG

M0KLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the UK, times certainly "are a changin".
    It used to be if you wanted access the the internet, you went to your public library.
    Now if you want a book, you go to the internet from home.
    Many County Councils cannot afford to keep libraries open, due to budget cuts from cenral government, and arguably there is no longer a need.
    My in-laws buy their books from charity shops, stall etc. OK you may not get the latest titles, but there is Kindle and others for that.
    Many many technical reference books are free for Kindle and other electronic readers.
    UK libraries are closing at the rate of 150 -200 per year. We have to find other ways of getting the ham radio showcase out there.
    Good luck with your ideas in the US, as long as you still have libraries.

Rob

12. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

“On a side note: Private schools were acceptive of Ham radio / communication course / certificate. The public schools, are difficult, way to bureaucratic.”

Tom, you’re spot on in this distinction. Few public school administrators get fired by saying No...but can if they say Yes,

N6HCM and MW1CFN like this.
  13. MW1CFN

It's certainly true library sites are closing, but the provision of a library service in the UK - however that is achieved - is in fact a statutory requirement, and remains firmly in place.

Have you checked your local library services recently? Did you know you can access hundreds of magazines, both popular and very niche, for free? That's a huge benefit when you consider most magazines now cost £5 or more; that's a lot to spend on advertising, interspersed with some articles. Any book you may want, you can request, either new or from locations across the UK (or more widely in certain cases).

Remember: a large proportion of the population do not have a bank account, and therefore can't get internet at home. They can get it all at the library, for free. Cost to the taxpayer? Probably about the same as a single bottle of the cheapest wine per year.

N6HCM, KC3EWA and K4FMH like this.
  14. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed! In the US, public libraries are not “closing” writ large as the post you’re responding to suggests. Actual data n US public libraries are available since 1988. See this link: https://www.imls.gov/news/one-year-people-visited-public-libraries-more-billion-times

N6HCM likes this.
  15. M0KLG

M0KLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is true that library services are a statutory requirement, and if you hold a library card, there are many daily newspapers and other magazines that you can read for free on the internet.
    However as far as the OP goes, it's pretty hard to demonstrate Amatuer Radio in your local library when you dont have one. (does Bangor still have a physical library?)
    I'm pretty sure in your QTH as well as mine this would be difficult from a once a week mobile library.

Rob.