ad: Radclub22-1

Exposing Amateur Radio to the Public A Case for the Public Library

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KR9T, May 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.

My wife worked in a large county public library system for 15 years. She told me exactly the same things.

N6HCM likes this.
  2. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice display. Need a straight key on that table!

WN1MB likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it unusual that there was no keyboard or microphone present.

4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Two years ago, I ordered The Handbook for Radio Communications by the ARRL. After about a month, I never got it in the mail. I called League HQ and they said it had been mailed three weeks earlier and they would send me another copy. Two days later, I received "both" books in the mail. ARRL did not want it back so I donated it to our local library, still wrapped in it's plastic covering. It took several months before they cataloged it into their system but it is now on the shelf ready to be checked out. I keep meaning to go by and look at the book to see if it has been read but I keep forgetting. Right now, our library is on-line curb side pickup only.
    Tom WA4ILH

N6HCM likes this.
  5. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

We have Summits on the Air (SOTA), we have Parks on the Air (POTA), we have Islands on the Air (IOTA), why not Libraries on the Air (LOTA)?

K0TWA, KE4YMX, N9OU and 3 others like this.
  6. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your insight. That is why in my blog article I specifically mentioned building an explicit relationship with the Library Director, not just dropping off "donations" to the service desk up front. They work retail. Collections is in technical management. All libraries are not alike, just like hams. The "served agency" approach I advocated can work as the OP has demonstrated. But a club negotiating a formal relationship with the Director of the Library to not only donate books and materials---and perhaps getting the new On the Air eMagazine into the eCollections of the Library for free (I'm working on that via my Division Director, David K5UZ, now)---along with given regular programs, demonstrations, and on-loan displays is very different. You may not be open to that and your Library Director might not either (are you the Director? You just said librarian so I don't know) but many public libraries will be. My blog post gave some data from the latest survey of public libraries which give a better view of public libraries and library systems at large than even one or two librarians' views about their single library. But you're in a key position to facilitate this relationship with area clubs. If one club just doesn't have any interest, there might well be two others who do.

Frank
    K4FMH
    Assistant Director, ARRL Delta Division

K0UO likes this.
  7. KR9T

KR9T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are only put out when a licensed ham is present to demonstrate the station.

WR2E likes this.
  8. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Nothing positive"?? Sounds pretty good to me.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

editing SNAFU - probably meant "nothing but positive."

10. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

GOOD IDEA. Let's get this communication written correctly in a format that works, because I'd like you to circulate this concept:

Energize this post and make it relevant -AND- increase cooperation for ideas.

TITLE: Amateur Radio at Public Libraries is Increasing Engagement

CONTENT:

"Our group has had great success introducing Amateur Radio to the public through a partnership with a public library. In fact we just set up this station___INSERT CALLSIGN__ in cooperation with _INSERT______. This is an active station run by licensed ham volunteers from___INSERT__and others ___LIST IF NEEDED. To date this has attracted a huge response not only from library patrons, but from all of those in our community and is presenting alternatives to young and old in science and radio, with an added benefit of engaging everyone in a resource to support each other in good times and in bad times - amateur radio"

Look at this video link to the station: ___INSERT___
    Here's the link to the library ___INSERT__
    If you need further contact ___INSERT___

ETC ETC

I think I just cut down the author's post about 959% and made it useable

PS. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A "PROGRESSIVE COMMUNITY" - PER THE AUTHOR. Think I'll stay away

11. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to donate a "subscription paud" copy of qst to our local librsry, the first ever public librari in Texas and the oldest one still operating. Nope, nary a response. The ham radio books they have are ancient, years out of date. Sigh,

12. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Who's using American code?

13. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Brilliant.

14. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a FANTASTIC idea. i would gladly sign up to activate libraries. how would we get things rolling to make it happen. I would think it is necessary to have a club involved on making these arrangements?

15. KX4QC

KX4QC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just what we need. Nobody seems to know what we do and why we enjoy it. We need to make this outreach not only in libraries, but maybe schools too. The late Dr John Dobson was highly successful popularizing astronomy with his Sidewalk Astronomy; he'd put a telescope on a sidewalk and show anyone who passed by. Maybe a radio in a public place, where people can see what it does might be a fine start?