ad: KF7PMW-1

Experince with Tarheel 100A-HP on RV

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WQ6N, Sep 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My usual camping trek consisted of either putting up a 40m OCF dipole via a 35ft pushup mast center with 3-4 sections of military surplus 4ft tent poles at each end or running a 53ft longwire in an L configuration with the same 35ft mast as the upper end-point. The best report, at that time, came from the longwire. I usually breakdown the antennas the day before I need to leave.

On the last trip, I decided to give my screwdriver a go while packing up all the pushup mast and tent poles. The screwdriver mount is up on the passenger side rear quarter near the ladder. I tried to couple in the rear steel frame of the coach and roof access ladder. This time, I used a pre-made 33ft long counterpoise wire attached to the base mount inductor screw out to a 6ft fence which gave me one elevated counterpoise.

The report from the end station was the best yet out of all the other antenna options. Do I really need to be hauling all this other stuff while I could simply use the screwdriver antenna with at least one elevated counterpoise? What if I increased the counterpoise by 2 or 3 wires? There is not a lot of space in these tight RV beach sites.

Bottom Line is that the screwdriver setup would simplify and save me put-up and break-down time. I would miss the fellow campers spontaneous questions that are often entertaining. I did not have the length of time to evaluate human made noise (e.g. inverters, generators and converters...) with the screwdriver. I must admit that the OCF did have a better noise floor. All antenna variants had a 1:1 isolator in front of the transceiver.

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

The term "counterpoise" is incorrect. What you're describing is a "radial". And I'm not sure about the 1:1 transformer, or where exactly is it located? What's really need in this case, is a common mode choke. I might take the form of a current balun, but typically not.

Screwdriver mounting, at the rear of any vehicle with vertical sides (RVs, vans, SUVc, etc.) is a lost cause. Depending on the class of RV, front mounting, although not ideal by any means, is usually the only option if any modicum of efficiency is desired.

AF9US likes this.