ad: Retevis-1

Experimental 30 Meter Mobile Beacon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0SAP, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ONLY band I operate...and just want we needed! More QRM! Don't know what your experiment is her fellas but...have at it I guess. Oh! And you're right! Ham Radio IS now considered "a hobby!" BUT, anyone remember when it was recognized as the Amateur Radio Service?!? Folks outside "this hobby" are more and more starting to care less us " hobbyists!"

2. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it is not illegal what we are doing according to FCC rules. We have check with all the State Police in states that we cross, they have no problem with it. At slower speeds or stopping the wire drops to the ground. The only time it was run over I did it. There is a beacon run daily at this frequency by WØERE, so if you have not heard it then it is not causing you any QRM. Comes Guys, we have been Hams for over fifty years. We are having fun at no one's expense and hope you will join us on the trip. "SAP"

3. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

One more thing, watch the latest Ham Nation for videos Episode 146. That may give you an idea how this works. "SAP"

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to mention that. Great video -- watched it on the live show last night.

5. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck!

Worked fine last year.

Oh please. Sorry, high horses don't fit under overpasses. You may wish to dismount yours.

6. AA7WB

AA7WB Ham Member QRZ Page

The sad part about this thread is that most of these negative comments are sincere.

Sad.

Good luck guys and have fun.

73 de W7WBB

7. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On an airplane, I can see it. On a car...well.... best i could imagine was a 6' mast to get the wire above average car height and then a 17 foot trailing wire from the mast ? Be safe.... be hamsexy.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

OP: Your reputation precedes you! I heard a lengthy 40m roundtable earlier (happy
    to be able to copy ALL sides of such things these days yay! :))

The primary topic? "a guy dragging a wire for a 30m beacon on his way to Dayton"

The conversation was roughly what it is here - "sum fur, sum agin"....

By which I deduce that HF Roundtables are very much the precursor to the Internet Forum.

:):)

Just thought it was interesting.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  9. 2E0KEH

2E0KEH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that in accordance with your License terms?

Seriously People! some folk just want to experiment and make Good for others! I have noticed there are always nit pickers and those who think they do everything by the book, as if!

Enjoy the hobby for what it is and stop acting like school kids.

Good Luck with the Becon

Pete
    2E0KEH

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you do stop, or something else happens, that causes the antenna to get run over, and it breaks off as a result, there are all kinds of other fines and things to face. I sure hope you can find a way to keep it forward of the rear of the vehicle. Or, at the very least, tie a string to the trailing end so that you could reel it in if you have to.

11. NT2C

NT2C Ham Member QRZ Page

And the Hindenburg made many safe trips also.

It should not take an incident where you cause an accident, or maim or kill some innocent rider, before you realize that trailing a long piece of difficult to see metal behind your vehicle at highway speeds poses an unacceptable hazard to other people. I would also point out, that in the event you do cause such an unfortunate incident now, this thread, and the one from last year, will be pretty damning evidence against you in a court of law.

Again, I urge you to consider the safety of other highway users around you and find a safer way to enjoy your trip.

12. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My understanding is that the setup consists of a Hustler mobile whip sans resonator where the wire attaches. At speed, the wire starts to "float" in the breeze" 3-5 feet off the ground.

Here's the thing though, the speed at which the wire "floats" is probably around 10-15mph maybe a bit more. If you're following at 25 feet at even that speed, you've got bigger problems to deal with than a wire.

And since motorcycles were mentioned, I've been riding for 2 decades and I've NEVER followed that close to a vehicle. Even stopped, I (and every other rider I know) leaves an out to be able to throttle out of the way of someone behind me. Not doing so is a good way to get dead fast and, again, a piece of wire would be the least concern here...

I'm guessing all of this has been hashed out before ad nauseum but leave it to hams to go all ape over something again and again! Heck, it was predictable to the post who was going to mention "beacon rules" and 30 meters even though the OP even mentioned that the "beacon" has a present control operator.

I'm gonna start calling this place "QRM.com" instead.

13. AB9LM

AB9LM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed... Last year I was on my roof checking the gutters during a lightning storm.
    Nobody died last year, so it should be fine to do it again.

14. KB5SXC

KB5SXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have You ever thought about why it's called a Whip?

Quote from Mrs. Darby, 2nd Grade Teacher " That might put Someone's Eye out. "

KB5SXC/qrp
    Leo

15. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda makes me wonder what the local hiway patrol will think of it.......FQZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.