ad: chuckmartin

Exempt Radio Amateur Aerials From Requiring Planning Permission.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M6NBP, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What type of antenna do you wish to erect?

2. VE7RE

VE7RE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it interesting that people don't complain about telephone poles, Hydro wires and high voltage transmission towers but as soon as you put up a Antenna support structure, all the towns people complain "It's unsightly" & "I don't Like it" even before they know what it is. It's so hypocritical.

The only reason they don't complain about how unsightly telephone poles are and Hydro wires is because it's for their benefit while Amateur Radio Antennas & support structures aren't. Well actually they are to their benefit, they just don't realize it unless there's some big life altering emergency going on.

As an Amateur Radio Operator and a British Subject (Living in Canada) I support all of you in you efforts to change this silly law and allow us to indulge in our hobby the way our licensing structures allow us to.
    Good luck to you all
    de VE7RE

KF4ZKU, G3SEA, N5PZJ and 2 others like this.
  3. M6YPA

M6YPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Signed it..... A worthy petition

4. G8GYS

G8GYS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just signed! G8GYS

5. M3LBY

M3LBY Ham Member QRZ Page

:):):):):):)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  6. M3LBY

M3LBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Signed

7. M6ULU

M6ULU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just signed and confirmed.. Fingers Crossed

8. G4MJA

G4MJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice thought but unfortunately it will never happen. I have signed the petition. Good luck.

9. M0XTE

M0XTE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't agree with this one actually. Two reasons:

Firstly access to the spectrum is a privilege and not a right. How you operate within those privileges is something we can ask for but should live with the expectation that it can be denied or revoked. There needs to be some order in society as much as this is against our nature.

Secondly I'd be pretty annoyed if someone put a tower with beam on it, right next door to me. If you turn the tables and look at it from the other person's perspective, things always look different. We have a relatively high population density here in the UK, some of us almost living on each other's laps so we have to actually have to try and get along a bit rather than end up with petty disputes. Trying to compromise is the art and legislation that removes the ability to compromise ends up in an even worse outcome.

I also don't buy the emergency use bit. That's not strictly true. It's not an essential utility, regardless of opinion. In an emergency I'm going to be lying low, monitoring broadcast frequencies and worrying more about food and water. That works pretty well with a bit of wire strung up around the living room without drawing attention to yourself.

As for complaining about essential utilities, yes the NIMBY lot do complain about those too. We've literally only just got fibre broadband here after someone objected to planning permission for the cabinet. And we had problems getting new water line installed.

So no I won't be signing this one. Sorry.

10. GM6BRU

GM6BRU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally agree! :)

11. M6EUF

M6EUF Ham Member QRZ Page

to many rules in this life so signed the petition ;););)

G3SEA likes this.
  12. G7GFW

G7GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

No way it will ever happen and in my opinion it shouldn't.

Just suppose it does happen and I live in a mid terrace house in the middle of a town with a 15ft x 15ft backyard and I decide to erect a 60ft tower. I do it myself and I'm not very good at following safety rules and regs so I use concrete that I have mixed, by hand at a ratio of 1 part cement to 20 parts sand. 3 months later, the wind gets up and my tower with it's Steppir 10 ele beam comes down across the road. It's a stormy night and Fred is driving home, the tower hits his car and kills him. Of course I haven't any insurance and, if I had, once the insurance company looked at the way I installed the tower, my insurance is void.

Need I say more?

What should happen is a fairer and nationwide application of the planning laws. Anyone who wants a tower or similar should have to apply for permission and be subject to inspection BEFORE the final install and insurance against 3rd party risk should be mandatory.

Am I a party pooper? No but I have seen a very similar accident to the one I describe above and the devastation that followed was not pleasant (no, it wasn't me and it happened many years ago).

M0XTE likes this.
  13. G4IYK

G4IYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hardly Surprising - you live in Kent. There are several live cases in Kent where neighbours abuse planning law and have lied to thwart radio hams. Search the Armando Martins Campaign.

14. G0DAY

G0DAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done I would hope somebody listens, I'm 75 and this has been going on for a long time .I hope you get a lot more sigs. Good luck.

G0DAY / Ex G8FWZ

15. 2E0XPD

2E0XPD Ham Member QRZ Page

2E0XPD Good call on getting rid of planning permission. I am sure there are plenty of other more serious planning issues out there to keep the planning departments busy.