ad: M2Ant-1

Exclusive - Yaesu Upcoming DR2 Repeater

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jul 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

sounds good. It's not 1985 any more, even the Motorola DMR repeaters are like this.

2. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have many in operation in Mexico, 14 total, running at mid range power, not one failure.
    For what they were bought for, they are OK.
    Good cavities and installation, 25 watts enough for the intended use on UHF.
    Do not do WiresX.

Adios

3. KF6AJM

KF6AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually no, they aren't. The XPR 8300 and 8400 were, and they were a rush to market device. The 8300 had miserable PA reliability, but the 8400 was decent.

Both of these boxes are being replaced by the SLR series (5000 & 8000) which are purpose built DMR repeaters that are NOT two mobiles in a box.

1985 is still here - Motorola, Kenwood, ICOM, Vertex, Harris, Hytera, etc. still make purpose built repeaters that are not two mobiles in a box.

AD0JA likes this.
  4. AD0MI

okay, so the new DMR repeaters aren't, but the old ones were. Semantics. It's a design that has been used before.

I suppose if Yaesu were to pull the boards out of the chassis, and mount them together on some sort of stand off, that would be OK then.

5. N4MRM

N4MRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally I will not buy another fusion repeater. They give you no room to set the features you want. A external controller is a pain to setup... They thing will burn itself out if you don't mod the cooling system in it. Not me never again. Larry N4MRM

AD0JA likes this.
  6. WA7JAW

WA7JAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually no it would not be. If you had a helical coil tuned front end, a decent bi level squelch circuit for analog operation, a CTCSS encoder/decoder that does proper reverse burst, a transmitter that could run key down 24X7 at 25 watts, then it might be closer to a real repeater.
    For those who say they are not having problems or that their Class "C" amplifier is running fine, I wonder if they have a digital service monitor to properly measure the (BER) bit error rate at the site to see how it is really working and what the measurements are?
    I know neither of the clubs around here that have these repeaters do not own a digital service monitor to properly set them up or monitor their digital performance.
    Joe - WA7JAW

KF6AJM and NO7E like this.
  7. M0TCH

M0TCH Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right. We've had the following correction from Yaesu “The DR2 does not support Wires-X via the IMRS but does over the air, so is not a replacement or upgrade for the DR1 repeater. The DR1 will continue to be produced for those wishing to grow their Wires-X network.”

8. NO7E

NO7E Ham Member QRZ Page

And people wonder why everyone calls it "System Con-Fusion"? It seems Yaesu is not even sure about what they want it to be, they should have joined ICOM/Kenwood along with Japanese ham community 15 or so years ago when they were invited to participate in the design of D-Star.

Speaking of junk products dumped in our lap no one mentioned all the issues with the FT2. I have several friends that are absolutely disgusted with having to send it back to Yaesu for the same issue. The APRS takes out your transmit audio, it drops more and more with each transmission. I am not bashing Yaesu here, it just seems that the last few years they have lost all concept of quality control.

I had an FT8DR and loved it, I ended up selling it with all the accessories because my vision is going bad and I just could not see the display anymore so it sat in the box. The FT101 is still one of the best rigs ever made and if I could find one for a decent price I would pick it up in a hurry.

9. AK6OK

AK6OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our fusion repeater has worked out great and we love it. Pretty harsh talk for a system that really works well. And it is not only surviving, it is growing. Yaesu Fusion is really easy for the new users - DMR can be a real pain to deal with - Time to chill out!

K9EZ and AD0MI like this.
  10. N5XO

N5XO Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact it is not a DMR repeater, should be a big clue to why it does not support a commercial un-ham friendly mode.

K9EZ likes this.
  11. N5XO

N5XO Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here, I own and operate 3 regional repeaters covering a large area of Central Texas, love the Fusion Repeaters and not had one single solitary issue with one failing. The first fusion I put online, was during the BETA program, so it's been around awhile. There were some firmware issues in the early days, to be expected with new products. I run them ball at high power, with NO issues and two of the repeaters are pretty active.

My only complaint is the front end selectivity, as was commented earlier. You can drive a truck through the receiver front end and with one repeater at a commercial site, I have to deal with a lot of front end noise.

12. WB6AMT/SK2023

WB6AMT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is Yaesu DID NOT follow accepted standards for designing a repeater from the ground up...as we were told by the Yaesu rep when he came to tell us how great the DR-2 is.
    The additional heatsink for the transmitter needs to actually touch the castingthat the rf transistor is mounted to...a little berillium oxide applied on the two surfaces instead of black crinkle finish paint would help them from flaming out.

13. AD0MI

accepted standards?

14. WB9QZB

WB9QZB Ham Member QRZ Page

15. WB9QZB

WB9QZB Ham Member QRZ Page

This post stating the DR-2X does support WIRES-X is incorrect.

If the IMRS LAN networking board is not installed in the repeater
    WIRES-X networking can be supported with either a local WIRES-X connection at the repeater or a Remote Node connection.

If the IMRS LAN networking board is installed WIRES-X networking is only supported by a Remote Node connection.