Excited, proud and nervous for my kiddo

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WE4B, May 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

My kiddo, W4AQT will be giving a speech at the youth forum in Dayton in a couple of days. She's done a great job of writing her speech and designing the PowerPoint that goes with it. She's spent hour upon hour practicing. I'm so excited that she has been blessed with this opportunity to start learning public speaking skills. I'm very proud of her for the work she has put into preparing. I'm also nervous for her as I know that it's going to be tough for a 12 year-old to stand in front of such a large group of people and talk for 10-15 minutes.

I know it's going to be nerve wracking for her during those 10-15 minutes, but I also know that learning how to do this at a young age will help her throughout her life as not everybody learns to be comfortable doing public speaking. I knew amateur radio would help her with STEM skills but never envisioned that it would lead to helping learn public speaking skills. This truly is an amazing hobby/service.

WD3N, KC8YLT, W6GMT and 10 others like this.
  2. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

After the first time, it only gets better.

WE4B likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck kiddo! Knock 'em [insert favorite descriptor here]!

W2AI and WE4B like this.
  4. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

She should construct a basic outline on paper on the topics she wants to cover. Starting how she first became interested in amateur radio. Then integrating how the hobby has helped her in relation to her peers and studies. Since she'll be addressing an older middle-aged male crowd; interject some humor into the address to keep the presentation from sounding "boring". Many speakers use hand movement when speaking and this helps keeps the audience's attention.

WE4B likes this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Her presentation is prepared and she’s diligently practiced. Presenters get ten minutes per presentation. I know she is going to do her best and will do a great job. It’s good experience for a 12 year-old to start building speaking skills while talking about the hobby she enjoys.

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

She’ll do just fine. You’ve already set her a good example.

Sorry I’ll be missing it. Let us know where the video will be posted. (You ARE taking video of the presentation, right Dad?)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the topic of the presentation?

Will she be in a room with a projector and a big screen, and PA system, and a way to advance the PPT slides remotely via Bluetooth or something? (Probably, but it sure pays to know exactly what will be there.)

I gave two presentations at the Dayton Hamvention a long time ago ('82-'83 I think), in the "contest forum" which back then was moderated by Tim Duffy K3LR. Had many conversations with Tim before the event to be sure everything was there and set up in advance, and he did a great job to assure it was. After all this time, he probably has nothing to do with it anymore, but I hope someone similarly diligent is.

And to your daughter: Knock 'em dead!:)

8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

The title of her presentation is Satellites and Students. It's about how amateur radio satellites are good for students since you can predict when they will be above the horizon and how that helps since students have school and other extracurricular activities. She will also be telling about how learning to operate satellites has helped with her STEM education. Of course there's a bit more to it than that but that's the basis of the presentation.

Yes, big room, probably 100-200 people with screens and PA system. She will be advancing slides. I'm not sure if with a remote or just pressing buttons on the computer. This should be a fun ride :)

9. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tell your daughter to take some deep breathes and take her time when presenting her subjects. Patience is a virtue for a reason and is the basis of poise under "pressure". Always good to start off with a joke or 2, to help break the ice, getting the audience engaged and allowing your daughter to have a little fun while standing on the podium. Keep it up beat, lively and maybe ask a question or 2 of an audience member(s) if they actually use satellite communication and did they enjoy the endeavor, or some other real general question to her subject. Having actual eye contact with audience members while giving her presentation will also help keep the room's focus on her subject. Tell her to break a leg and looking forward to seeing the video. Don't be nervous for her either, at least not on the outside. :)

WE4B likes this.
  10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be calm and cool on the outside but will probably have more butterflies in my stomach than she will. I'm just a proud dad that she was asked to speak. It was announced at Huntsville that she was the first person invited to speak. She had a big grin on her face :)

KC3RN and WZ7U like this.