Exchange Icom 7000 for a Yaesu FT-950 ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SV2EVS, Oct 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"try listening to all the new satellites that were recently launched." I never got the idea of waiting for and adjusting MY operating schedule for a 5 minute pass of
    a bird so I can have a long repeater contact.

950 is a nice rig. Those 160 - 440 boxes are fun but its tiring trying to do a lot of DX . contest and other HF work where you need the buttons and controls at your
    fingertips. Suggesting a Yaesu to replace an Icom just goes against the grain of so many on QRZ.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the opportunity to use an IC-7000 and it did get very hot, I mean really hot. It has a decent receiver in it and I don't know that the FT-950 is much better but it would certainly be a better choice for fixed station operations. You can always buy a second radio to do 2 meters and 70 CM.

3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like my 7000 a lot, and I would not want anything else for mobile. I have mounted mine in the clear (on the rear of the console) and have never had an overheating problem. I use a powered speaker, and occasionally Bluetooth into the car sound system (which I don't recommend). I have used it inside and have been very happy with the receiver performance, but a bigger rig is much easier to use. Having 2 and 1 1/4 meters is very nice. Different strikes for different folks.

4. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago, I was choosing between those radios, and went with the IC-7000. The 2-M and 450-mHz bands were not a factor, but the performance and portability were. While I owned the radio, I never got a chance to "go portable" with it. Otherwise, I loved that radio.

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy my FT-950, and have owned nothing else, but the menu access is sort of nasty, once you begin using more of the radio. It is really a lot of radio in a very affordable package, but it is not convenient to use all of the features.

I'll pimp my latest Youtube video with mine, here in Seoul, Korea. I had the sound output width set somewhat thin (2100 to 2250), because I was working weak DX. The FT-950 can sound really, really good for the money -- far better than other radios in the same used price range, IMHO :

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  6. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

On the looks side i also thing that the Yaesu wins with a mile, but as i said i whould like to compare the two recievers in my antenna..still considering to set an ad for an exchange....

7. SV2EVS

What antenna are you using at the present videos ??

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Full 40m horizontally polarized loop about 5 to 6 stories up.. You can see a link to my antenna video just a few seconds into my first contact, and a photo of it at the beginning of the above video. Was a really perfect propagation day.

9. SV2EVS

When propagation is good, my vertical is ok and doing good in dx...i am also looking for a multiband dipole....besiedes considering the exchange of the Icom with a Yaesu...

10. SV2EVS

If you consider them by there looks, FT-950 is a winner, but at the time i got my ic-7000 that whas not an issue, it was rather than going to all modes and bands...