Exchange Icom 7000 for a Yaesu FT-950 ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SV2EVS, Oct 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the FT-950 does have a built in tuner. I have a 950 and like it very much. I have a friend with a 7000 and he has had some heat problems with it.

2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Bingo! You are the winner!

3. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

i will agree with that...its heating much especially durring summer.

4. SV2EVS

Thanks for that, even we are far away...i whould really love to compare the two side by side to make a decision...i really like the v/u option +ssb on my ic7000...but i whould like a better reciever and also a build in tuner sometimes...

5. SV2EVS

like many of us, sometimes during summer, it stopped transmiting and wanted time to cool off....

6. SV2EVS

it is a mobile rig to me also, but when i could buy one....it was an option that i couldn't resist due to the vhf/uhf factor that i wanted at the time...

7. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned them both and would recommend the FT-950 for home station HF use. Like most daylight to dusk rigs the IC 7000 cannot compare favorably to the FT 950 when it comes to HF receive.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you ditch the 7000, try listening to all the new satellites that were recently launched.

I'd agree with most of these comments. My 7000 overheats if I run more than about 25 watts on digital modes and make long transmissions. For some reason, SWR makes a huge difference - it just doesn't tolerate high SWR well, and that leads to overheating. For CW or SSB, I've never experienced a heating issue with a low SWR antenna. But, the 7000 has ICOM's DSP system, which is certainly one of the better ones.

For a few dollars more, you could get an IC7410, and it looks like the new IC7300 might be in the same price class. I have not used the 950 extensively, but it's an attractive box.

9. SV2EVS

I agree with all above, i like the ic7000's dsp...i have used it with my manual antenna tuner and swr is not a problem especially now with new/used vertical LZ-AV5B...it works great, listens low signals very well when i use manual notch things get a lot better...Problem is that i dont have someone to compare the two side by side...an automatic tuner is sure something that i whould like, but people say that it might not tune as well as i want i some bands (i plan to get a 2nd antenna later...)

10. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even close. I believe the 950 is better on receive and the looks and layout are winners. I could not imagine being hunched over the little 7000 in a contest. 950.jpg