Exchange Icom 7000 for a Yaesu FT-950 ?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by SV2EVS, Oct 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

I am considering this...

I like the icom's reciever very much...but what is your comments on this ?

73 de sv2evs

2. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the most part, I would rather have the larger radio sitting in front of me. I have not heard of any particular problems with the FT-950 so would prefer it. I don't care about the extra bands in the Ic-7000.

3. SV2EVS

I am thinking to exchange my ic-7000...for the ft-950...but i want to hear some reviews about the rig rather than just go ahead and post something that i will later regret...

4. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an ic-7000 in the car, and we have an ft-950 in the club shack. The Yaesu is larger, has more controls (so less is accessed via menus) and has a good speaker in it. The 7000 has a colour screen with more information on it (and although it is small, you can plug in an external monitor). I personally prefer the Icom way of doing things over the Yaesu, but both are fine radios. I prefer the sound of the Yaesu over the Icom 718 I have in my shack, but I prefer the 7000 over both.

5. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yaesu doesn't have 144 or 450 MHz, if that makes a difference. But you do get multiple antenna connections for HF.

6. SV2EVS

Thanks for the input guys...yes, i know about the 144/430 on my ic-7000 and i like that a lot, even i dont use them a lot...but i whould maybe want something bigger in the shack with maybe auto tuner installed inside (i believe the Yaesu has is build in)...so, that is why i posted this and considering.

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 950 in my opinion is a better receiver. The 950 is designed for a base station the 7000 portable. The 7000 covers a lot of things but that causes weakness in areas such as the receiver. Plus, I hate a menu driven radio. I had an icom 706 that drove me nuts. I may not use the radio for awhile and then forget the steps on changing something. Out came the manual.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd prefer the 950 also, if VHF-UHF isn't a factor.

It is a higher performance rig and less reliant on menus.

The 7000 is a mobile rig, to me.

9. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7000 doesn't have a very good record when it comes to heat related failures.
    I would go for the 950 if you want to increase your chances of better longevity.

10. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If we lived closer, I'd let you try my 950 for a few days. I need a smaller rig for mobile and I just bought the FTdx3000 so my FT950 is in the closet.