Excellent letter from the editor in QST this month

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD0BCT, Apr 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow what a concise presentation ...Second Century...Future is Fragmented.

I think this is a very good presentation on the problems facing Amateur Radio as well as the ARRL in a nutshell.

I do like what the ARRL is attempting to do with their magazines. Pointed out what is wrong with QST magazine and what the league intends to do about it. I thought it was a very positive letter.

What's your take on the letter?

K2NCC, K4AGO, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KD8DWO, K6LPM, WD4ELG and 4 others like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean, like, you know, people who pretend to represent libraries, so that they can get their QST’s for free?

N2EY, K8PG, W4IOA and 5 others like this.
  5. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a technical school with an electronics shop and some students who were hams. Was your question answered?

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Vintage equipment is a niche subject, just as much as the bleeding edge is, though i would rather read about someone doing something new, than something that had been done 10000 times before.

Silent keys on the other hand is a fundamental tradition of the hobby that is well worth keeping. It should be explained to us newbies and younger hams why its important and why it is a part of the folk law, mythology and tradition of amateur radio. For many, the most important contribution they will ever make to the hobby is having their name in the magazine.

7. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

A general comment on the clubs and national societies is that they have their futures behind them, and have generally outlived their purpose.

This editorial is one sign that the ruling strata in the clubs finally are catching up with reality, which is that the ageing membership wants nothing to change, which alienates any young people entering the hobby.

However, their space for maneuvering has become very limited, when more than half of their numbers are above retirement age. If this group should become alienated, the end will be near.

The age-old "selling pitch" about "protecting spectrum" does also fall apart when confronted with reality.

When, not if, corporate interests want the spectrum space which is of any commercial value they will take it regardless of what the ARRL says. HF spectrum currently does not need protection from other radio users, but instead from man-made interference which incidentally affects all users equally badly.

The major HF users left are the "bible-thumper" broadcasters, some state-sponsored propaganda outlets and some military thin-route users. Especially the military users do not have to ask for spectrum, instead they will take it if needed.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W5TTP and NN4RH like this.
  8. W3DBB

W3DBB Ham Member QRZ Page

QST is a journal that covers a technical hobby. It is not a magazine or newspaper in the traditional sense. So the 'new normal' that is sinking traditional print media does not and should not apply to an occasionally technical amateur radio journal.

What should be obvious is quality matters. Support rule changes that put quality back into the Amateur Radio Service and its licensees and QST will keep pace and transition back to being the quality proposition it used to be. In other words, put the horse in front of the cart. ARRL has- for far too long- considered itself the center of the amateur radio world and it will dictate to the FCC and ARS licensees what is to happen. A classic failure of logic endemic to bureaucrats and politicians of all stripes.

Launching a second magazine, particularly one that is just so much fluff, was a disastrously bad idea. It won't last long. You would think the League's executive management was trying to rescue Time Magazine or Newsweek by including more pop culture content.

K5YDD, W5TTP, KB3FEI and 2 others like this.
  9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't understand this comment.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Next thing you know they won't post or print obituaries in the newspapers or on the internet.

AR it seems is no longer a "quasi-fraternal community" and the newbs don't seem to care who comes or goes. ME! ME! ME!

I wonder how long before the Silent Keys / Friends Remembered goes away on QRZ?

W1BR, K4AGO, K8PG and 4 others like this.