Examples of RTTY QSO's

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W2PSK, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard him many times in the contest this weekend! I will check out his website

on edit, he has an excellent tutorial for MMTY, JUST WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!!

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, but the popularity of RTTY has increased so much that during contests it tends to expand simply because of the sheer numbers of operators.

That's a simple fact, not confined to ten meters. CW contests have the same problem. RTTY on 15, 20, and 40 was also way out of the expected areas. 40 is an especially difficult case because of the differing allocations in the world.

So, for the few RTTY contests lets just agree that it will spill over a bit. After all, band plans are simply suggestions and do not carry the weight of actual law. From time to time, the band plans go by the wayside.

That's life!

73 Gary

3. K5KF

K5KF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought the software this afternoon. Thanks for the help.

Installed it, but the tutorial wasn't adequate for me to understand how to use. I thought it was misleading. Piddled with it for several hours, off and on. Never could get it do to what I thought the "help" was saying to do.

This evening, I downloaded the rtty software package. To my surprise, I see that it "hears" something from the receiver. So I went to 20M to learn how to tune in and copy. Can't find a single bloomin' signal on 20M. In fact, the entire band seems quiet tonight. Tried 40M. It has plenty of ssb and cw, but not a single rtty. I guess everyone is tired from the weekend.

Ken

4. VA3KAB

VA3KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people these days use PSK style exchanges when working RTTY, however most of the "Old timers" prefer faster exchange of info, especially the DX stations. I have three different sets of macros I use for RTTY, one I just use for contests, another for DXPeditions and most RTTY QSO's, and a more verbose set, similar to PSK style. For example the report macro I use looks something like:

"<HIS CALL> TU <HIS RST> <HIS RST> NAME: DAVE DE VA3KAB KN"

But very easy to change it on the fly if the other station wants to be more verbose.

BTW, someone mentioned that RTTY is slower than PSK. It is actually faster than PSK31 but slower than PSK63.

~Dave VA3KAB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.