ad: AlphaRF-1

exactly what do I need to set up Hamsticks??

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5JPG, Aug 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta thy that! (^8

John WD5IKX

2. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta try that! This will wake em up. (^8

WD5IKX-mobile install-02.JPG

John WD5IKX

K7WFM likes this.
  3. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh how wonderful!

4. N3EBX

N3EBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had excellent results with ham sticks mounted on a chain link fence.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

they can also be used as a rotatable dipole
    mount them on a pair of cb mirror mounts and they will form a dipole or a vee antenna
    good for portable

6. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

I run bugcatcher antennas most of the time but I use my hamsticks when it's raining - Bugcatchers don't like rain...I run Procomm sticks. they are rated for 500 watts - most are only rated for 250 watts. Procomm makes a lot of CB stuff but they make pretty good hamsticks. The key to running hamsticks is to tune them as flat as possible on the frequency you plan to talk on and then use a matching coil of some kind at the base of the antenna to get a good impedance match. Some mounting locations make them very difficult to tune without the matching coil. 20 meters and up the work very well but 40 and 75 are pretty narrow banded so you can't move off the tuned frequency very far. Properly mounted and tuned they work a lot better than they get credit for. Not the most efficient antennas out there for sure, but not the dummy load they're frequently accused of being either. If you plan to have any fun with a mobile HF station the first thing I would do is start looking for a different radio - I have run many different HF rigs mobile and the Alinco DX70 was the worst mobile receiver I've ever owned. Terribly noisy regardless of what steps you might take.

7. KD5AUU

KD5AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

You also wanted some advice on a way to mount your antenna - I think this might work well for you. I fabricated an angle bracket that fits in the gap between my tailgate and the truck box and screwed 1 half of a mirror mount to it - If you decide to remove it the only holes are out of sight and easy to make disappear. I have made my own matching coils and used a jumper wire with an alligator clip to tap it but the one pictured I purchased from Main Trading Company - They come with a banana plug jumper and a couple of taps for 50 bucks. I use bayonet type quick disconnects on all of my antennas so I can change from one to another quick and easy. With this type of matching coil you may need multiple taps to match different antennas. I didn't have a picture handy but I have a 2nd angle bracket at the top of the tailgate with a small lexan or plexiglass standoff to keep the antenna from flexing at the mount. I've been running this setup for years even with my heavier bugcatcher antennas and it has held up with no problems.

matching coil MTC 1.jpg