ad: HamInsurance-1

exactly what do I need to set up Hamsticks??

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5JPG, Aug 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I do understand that Hamsticks are now considered a generic label, but as a fairly new operator, I want to know everything I need to get to set up. I will be using an elderly but mint Alinco DX-70 for mobile/portable, I have an eagle One antenna for when i can stop and fully set up. so, what else do I need? coax in a particular length? what kind of connector between the bottom of the hamstick and the coax. what type of surface mount? unfortunately I drive a Jeep with a Fiberglass top so there isn't much to anchor to. this is why I was looking at Hamsticks and avoiding a full on permanent mount.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You need a lot of Luck to use those.

In the day we put a cap at the base to help match them better.

Good Luck.

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get a big amp so somebody can hear you HI HI, actually they work pretty good 20 meters and up. I have used them on 40 with fair results as long as the vehicle is grounded good, but their narrow banded of course. On 40 I use a small Coil that connects from the ground to the antenna to get 50 ohms. You could do a search there's a great website on mobile installs on the web see K0BG.com They will get you on the air for cheap but they're efficiency specially on 40 and 75 is about as poor as you can get from mobile antenna.
    Don't even think about using a magnetic now or anything like that, use a good permanent ground mount. On newer Vehicles you can get IFR from the vehicle's computer system but worse you may interfere with the vehicle's computer system so grounding is important.

4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I occasionally use a 40/30/20 MFJ hamstick mobile and they are no too bad. They are less than $20 per band.
    Assuming you have a hitch receiver...

I use a ball hitch mount
    [​IMG]

In the hole where the hitch ball would go I bolt on an antenna Spring mount.
    Wilson has a SS one for about $12.

[​IMG]

I made up a 4 gauge cable with a copper ring terminal at the antenna mount end and a large battery clip at the other. The ring terminal goes between the ball mount bolt and the locking fastening nut. I take the clip end of the cable and attach it to a frame bolt directly behind the receiver that I've cleaned up with a wire brush to bare metal. The battery clip has a very stiff spring in it and big teeth to grab the bolt head well. It's never fallen off the few times I have used it.

5. KA9JLM

In the day MFJ made a Matchbox to tune them. It was discontinued in short order.

Below 40 they do not even work good as a 50 ohm resistor on a stick.

KP4SX and K7WFM like this.
  6. KG5JPG

I tried out my "new to me" mobile radio and the electrical noise from the running engine is way too loud to mess with. My plan was to use this only as portable in my tiny RV when I ma boondocking so I think I best stay that way. the radio, an Alinco dx-70 apparently has a very well known lousy NB. but when stationary with the Eagle one antenna on the back of the Jeep or trailer it works just fine. thanks for all the tips though. PG

7. KA9JLM

I have had good luck with ham sticks mounted on a ground rod pounded in the ground.

They work good at the beach in salt water.

8. KE4KE

KE4KE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Quick Disconnects can help with swapping antennas and being able to remove them easily. You will still want some kind of permanent mount, perhaps on the bumper, since you can't use magnets. Pictures. I do put on a new or renewed mount every year.

K7WFM likes this.
  9. KG5JPG

thanks for the pics. It all makes a bit more sense. BUT, unless I can kill some of the engine noise it is strictly moot at this point. I will concentrate on my in ability to create an effective antenna at the QTH and let the mobile concepts slide a bit. ( I live in a black hole for RX of HF. )too much surrounding QRM. I suspect a really bad power supply next door or the transformers in the alley.PG

10. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

worked all over with a TS520 in a mercury villager minivan. austrailia on 40, europe, north and south america on 20, same on 15m.
    had to elevate the entire whip up 2 feet to get perfect match due to the close proximity of the van body.

I have joined 2 whips as a dipole for portable use. Used 2 cb mirror mounts back to back

they should tune to flat match with a swr meter. as for mobile noise, it depends on the vehicle, my KIA Sportage has lots of injector noise on vhf,
    while mobiling on 40m my rear wiper would occasionally trigger on voice peaks.

as a funny note: when the big car audio amplifiers first became popular up here, I could cause quite a roar to a poorly installed amp in a car beside me playing that (C)rap music
    I just had to go transmit and my 180W would get back into their amp through the speaker wiring. you could almost hear the spot welds separating hi hi

73's

N1PMK, K7WFM and WD5IKX like this.