Everything you need to know about Wolf River Coils antennas.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8MRD, Aug 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8MRD

K8MRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking a look at the different coils and setup configurations of the Wolf River Coils Silver Bullet 1000 TIA, Silver Bullet Mini, Center Loaded option, as well as the MFJ 1979 17' Telescopic whip.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    G4UGD, N6SPP, KE0TXC and 8 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used a couple of the expensive portables but always went back to Wolf river. As it usually goes the most expensive doesn't perform any better.

K8MRD, VU3DRU and KI5AAI like this.
  3. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have not watched the video yet. I am looking forward to it. I am considering the Chameleon system or the Wolf River Coils. Still on the fence.

4. KK4HPY

KK4HPY Ham Member QRZ Page

These are ok for the price but be aware what you are buying. I broke one in the middle within a few days after I got it. They are a small diameter hollow plastic pipe and can be cracked with side to side force. The coils are close together and in contact with regular pvc plastic so power handling is something to look into before you buy. They are the only ones I am aware of that sells an affordable coil for 160 meters and that's why I bought it. MFJ makes a far superior coil for 40 meters called MFJ-67 https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-67?_pos=6&_sid=d9769139c&_ss=r

KB9YOJ and VU3DRU like this.
  5. VU3DRU

VU3DRU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Mike for the reviews you do. I brought a WRC SOTA special version with the 6.5 feet whip after looking at your YouTube video where you took a WRC antenna to the park in winter.

I took it out to the park mounted on a K400 trunk mount yesterday to operate portable for the first time. The noise level was S0 on 40 meters and lot of regional stations were booming in. Had a QSO with KJ4IIB in Mobile, AL from Wheeling, IL. Hoping to do more portable work with it. The only thing was couple of cars actually stopped behind mine to see what I was doing which was a bit uncomfortable. I guess that’s something one should be prepared for when working outside.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Must have been extreme. I have a 1000 that's mounted to the roof with a 9' whip up for two years and two severe windstorms. The last one was straight line winds that took out my VHF /UHF array and several 100 year old trees.
    The mount holding the antenna was bent but the coil was fine. I thought it would have been the first thing to go but it was the last and kept going.

KG7OG likes this.
  7. AB8DT

AB8DT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Used the same SB-1000 TIA in my portable man pack then mobile for several years now in my go kit. I have put mine thru some good Michigan winters. Built like a tank so not sure how one could break a SCH-40 PVC with out running it over with a tank :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

K2MIJ, N6SPP, KE6MAK and 1 other person like this.
  8. K8MRD

Thats a really cool man pack setup! I wish more people in the trades would have antennas like that on their work vans too. I'm in the Tile industry (not the installation side) and I have never seen a work van with an antenna. Very sad.

9. K8MRD

I wonder if you had one of the very early ones. I have heard of them melting from too much power on digital which is why they came out with an upgraded "platinum" coil that can handle the heat. I haven't heard of one physically breaking however. My very first time holding my coil I was instantly surprised at how rugged and well built it felt.

10. K8MRD

I haven't tried any of the super expensive ones. They look great, and people say good things about them, but some are over $500 for what is pretty much the same antenna. Sure they may look fancier, but at the end of the day, it's just a coil and a whip.