ad: CQMM-1

Everything you know about dipole (calculators) is wrong ...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Good topic, many silly comments , many good ones ?? WHY > what's the interest in the dipole? every single HAM had many many contacts with dipoles - true / false ? DX engineering @ scientific velocity , speed of light, atmospheric pressure, altitude, temperature -on on and on goes the list if you want to re invent the wheel - its possible, it will STILL do the same job?
    DX,r - DIY homebrew, William Orr, Moxon , Uda on and on and on ..... BEST information is ARRL HANDBOOKS from many many years collecting -passed on from friends and fellow HAMS - -
    (? / internet ) Who can post anything on the internet today ( HAMS ONLY ) ( NON HAMS ) ???
    And what is their intention ? to learn US something LOL - no - to get many as possible views ! that's ALL.

AGREED - most concerned about NEW generation HAMS and false information , more concerned ABOUT good old HAM
    technology information that's goes Silent

TEST YOU GENERAL knowledge .. .
    WITHOUT please ...without GOOGLE ! JUST try once / BEFORE you look at my PAGE
    Do YOU know the 1949W8JK?

YES - Share good old information please!
    NO - Please read more AMATEUR RADIO literature - there are more excellent writings out there than you can ever imagine. much more than the internet avail.

GOD BLESS
    GDX
    LEON

Thank you ALL / reading and writing ! never stop ! sharing is CARING.
    Thank you QRZ for schooling us Young and Old.

cheers now
    18:50 z wx 32*
    Okavango Delta
    A25SL

2. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of radio operator should they be called? Since no matter how you cut it, they are licensed and operating radios.

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

How about "poor excuse for a" radio operator?

4. DU7DVE

Think of cars and drivers. Some drivers are good mechanics most are noort. It also doesn't mean that drivers who can't fix their cars can't drive well or are unpleasant drivers.

Same with ham radio. Just because a ham can't build an antenna doesn't mean he can't operate well or is a bad ham.

The contrary holds true. Just because a ham can build radio from scratch doesn't mean he's pleasant on the air. Or on the forums for that matter. ;)

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember we're talking an HF dipole here - not the Arecibo dish.

WR2E likes this.
  6. DU7DVE

It really doesn't matter what kind of antenna a person can't build. As long as he can turn on the radio and operate it enough to talk to somebody else following the spirit of the amateur's code, then he's a radio operator and a good one.

One may be able to build the arecibo dish with one hand tied behind his back and yet if he operates like a snob, he's still a 'poor excuse of a human being and a ham".

The powers that be have decided(by not making antenna building a part of the licensure exams) that you can be a radio operator without knowing how to build a dipole or an arecibo dish as a requirement. So we can cry and gnash our teeth but there we are.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  7. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely somewhere in the current exams there’s got to be a question about calculating a 1/2 wave antenna length.

8. DU7DVE

Oh yah. I'm sure the theory of it should be part of a ham's knowledge but building it is another matter

9. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

You’re kidding, right? Three insulators, two pieces of wire and some feedline. I’ve seen 10 year old kids build them.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and WN1MB like this.
  10. DU7DVE

Nope. Still o reason to be nasty. I know a couple of ladies who are class A(extra class) who handle pileups and other stuff really well, They can't build sh*t. These girls don't even know which way a yagi should face but they can talk really well. they probabaly can't use a manual tuner. The're still hams. I'm not saying I approve but once again, there you are.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  11. VK4CH

VK4CH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would recommend you look at the Australian equivalent of the ARRL, the WIA and investigate the requirements to attain a Foundation License.

http://www.wia.org.au/licenses/foundation/trialexam/

This may cast some illumination onto the thread.....

12. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been building antennas since 1978, no internet then.
    I do not use the internet now to build any antennas, i use the good old fashion method, BOOKS i purchased over the years .
    Always worked for me, and a good receiver does the job.

Attached Files:

VK6NSB, WN1MB and WA7PRC like this.
  13. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't build antennas today. They just turn on their computers. Myself, I asked questions from old timers then went out and built my own. OCF at home and 1/2 wave at weekender

WN1MB and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. As a new Novice ca 1970, I wanted to get on 15m. My dear mom scraped up $20 to buy a used Gotham 2-el yagi (mainly, it was just lengths of tubing and some hardware). The instructions talked about making something called a "Gamma Match" by stripping a few feet of jacket+shield from the end of the coaxial feedline. When that resulted in piŝŝ-poor performance, I read the only book I had (ARRL Handbook) about how Gamma Matches work. A bit o' rework later, and I was BMOC at 14yo. :)

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  15. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Bryan you done very well, living over 700 ks from Perth we had no options but to make our own stuff.
    Picture my first home made rotator and the tower with the quad was was built by me, even me in the picture.
    I am nearly seventy now and still at it, i am lucky in my life i learned many different skills which have been a big plus.
    Will never stop learning till the day i drop dead.

Attached Files:

VK6NSB and WA7PRC like this.