Everything impossible...save your money !!!!

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KH8AC, Dec 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KH8AC

KH8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been posting in various places trying to learn about possibilities of portable type operation.

#1-Do not end up in a condo type living situation. Easy to say but you will find everything impossible. From antennas to electricity to ? NOISE NOISE NOISE One needs a remote station somewhere.

OK..think about some portable type operation....

I bought 4 Deep Cycle Marine Batteries just looking for the means to do anything. Next thing I note is my upper back started bad pain. MRI shows a shows a muscle between 'rotator cuff'' and spine actually torn/ripped. If you got such you would never want a repeat. Actually it heals if not the spine. Just make sure you are in good shape to cart 75-150 lb objects with one handle on them all day day after day.

Shot down there.

Gotta keep them charged !!!! How ? Car in a parking lot with a long walk to apartment. Electricity ? Then you learn if you try to charge where you live your going to go up as a bomb from hydrogen gas. Winter time in NorthEast ?

Next is generator. The Honda smaller one is only 29 lbs. I can guess around here every attempt at usage will be a spectacle with everybody having to call the police. --- hey..that's a fire danger....

Lithium ?? I hate to see thousands in investment go up in smoke by a simple too much charge or deplete charge.

I don't know what is next.

Remote rig ? Rent ? Things cost money but I hate to pay for minutes when I am a chronic 'forever' operator.

2. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

For charging, I would recommend hanging a couple of solar panels on your sunniest outside wall. You will need a controller, and maybe even a battery switching arraignment.

That's if you want to keep the batteries. They will require ventilation and insulation in the winter. And some of your time for maintenance. Cleaning, etc. And protected from kids and pets. And of course room.

Have you tried a loop for receiving, inside the condo.....to see if your noise has a bearing?

And there are other options. A remote RX antenna for instance, linked back to your condo.

For instance, a IQ detector for say 40 meters, at a remote 40 meter antenna location, could easily modulate an UHF or MW carrier back to your place.

20 years ago, one could buy uhf and MW data FM transceivers, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, milliwatt output for about 100 bucks. I built many commercial links. They use spread spectrum and I never had any interference. They were solar powered and very dependable.

They probably have better hardware now, and probably cheaper.

K0UO likes this.