ad: elecraft

Everything Ham Radio Podcast Ep 56 - Lightning Protection

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5CLM, Feb 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5CLM

K5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Hello everybody and welcome back to the Everything Ham Radio Podcast! In this episode we are going to talk about lightning protection, we talk about some upcoming events/contests and hamfests over the next two weeks and wrap it up with some news from around the hobby!

Show notes and further reading for this episode can be found at http://www.everythinghamradio.com/podcast/56/

Please subscribe to my website to receive emails on when I publish a new post or podcast episode by going to http://www.everythinghamradio.com/subscribe/. Fill out the form on the page and click on the “Sign Me Up!” button. Check you email and you should receive an email from me with a link that you will have to click on in order to confirm your subscription. Once you click on that link, you will start receiving emails from me.

AB5CA likes this.
  2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Live near the top of the highest hill in my city, using an attic dipole. The radio (100 W) is grounded through the screw on a socket plate. When a nearby lightning strike fried the water heater and a few miscellaneous items I brought an electrician in. He checked the house grounding (very good) and installed an industrial level in-line power protector. Nothing will stop a direct strike but that should help. The sad thing is, I explained to my neighbors the risk we had and what we could do about it. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about and so did nothing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    PP8DA likes this.
  3. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

UNPLUG EVERYTHING BEFORE LEAVING THE SHACK,EVEN TO GO OUT SIDE FOR 10 MINUTES!

KC0LRP likes this.
  4. VA3JL

VA3JL Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed!

5. K5CLM

K5CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

call me lazy, but unplugging everything when you leave it seems like alot of work. when I goto my station, I want to power it on and get to operating. I dont want to have to go outside and fish my coax back inside, crawl under the desk to plug everything back in and then operate...

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

When the shoe fits wear it VERY proudly.

VA3SWH and K5CLM like this.