ad: AlphaRF-1

Ever heard and answered a non-sked CW call to you from a stranger?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Jun 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I love all this thread. Our ham conversations are supposed to be of such general information that listening to any on-air qso shouldn't be a problem. As a primary grade school kid, I listened to Doctor Dembinski's BC radio to ham band converter that he kept in his car while my dad worked on his car. It was by permission and then I would wash, sometimes wax his car to show appreciation. If I could have tail-ended those ssb qsos then, you bet I would have. Nowadays, I'm trying to up my copy speed by using fast qsos as practice copy. I have been known to tail-end, simply to say thanks for the privilege of listening. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    I also love the internet, but it's possible to really enjoy ham radio believe it or not, without a computer on, or even a smart phone. Imagine that!

K0UO likes this.
  2. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

Harsh! LOL I have an SDR. I am also that RipVanHam ... a ham that got back into it after a long away time. I didn't want a new rig loaded with push buttons & knobs. Having said that, I truly miss my Drake R4C & homebrew tx from back in the day. Yet, I also do no longer want lots of radio gear stacked up as the "station" although the Force is strong.:eek:

K5TSK likes this.
  3. K5TSK

Harsh.
    WOW!!! Never meant to be.
    Is it possible I'm so OT that I can't relate???
    Only skedding OTs from now on. Only working boat anchors like my FTdx3000 and KX3.
    Kidding, y'all!!

NE1U likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Momma said never talk to strangers. :eek:

So I don't have any friends to this day. :confused:

G4LJW likes this.
  5. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Brian whenever Im a working CW, pretty much everyday I always have my PC set viewing the reverse beacon lookup, main page filtered to US OP's. I see OP's all over the place calling CQ. Sometimes.........a lot actually..... by the time I have tuned into the area they are at a QSO has already started with them from someone else. When its over I jump in, maybe calling the original station I had seen listed OR maybe i will call the station who had just called them, depending on copy and CW quality. Generally if its the other station I try to move them since it was the other guys calling frequency. If its the original station we stay put and QSO. I have never had anyone act surprised about it but on the other hand they were calling CQ anyway. Just a passing thought sir, 73 Rich

K0UO and N7BKV like this.
  6. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I was kidding your kidding!

Don't tell me that I should have added hihihihi "this" isn't CW. Its about CW hihihi

K5TSK likes this.
  7. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the term I was looking for...

W9RAC likes this.
  8. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

hmmm, it seems to happen to me a lot. I've been hanging out in the SKCC area of the bands lately and I get an unsolicited call nearly every time I'm operating. I'm fairly new to the SKCC group so I think people want my number... It makes Ham radio FUN when that happens.

K0UO, KE4OH and K5TSK like this.
  9. K5TSK

Those guys will put you to work, if new number, new 'C', new 'T', even new 'S'. It's a good thing and the spontaneity is what's missing when you do all your contacts by 'net'. I think that all started the first time a guy landlined a friend when he heard some rare DX. IMHO it's slowly degraded ever since.
    There is nothing on ham radio that beats the feeling when by chance and the fact you are available, a DX slowly pops out of the noise and you are the first to answer. Been there. I'm not a DXer, but I cherish moments like that. Or a needed state. County. CW and spontaneity forever.

KE4OH and N7BKV like this.
  10. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Without using the RBN, whenever I tune across a QSO already in progress & I can hear both stations, But, don't know who was on the frequency first,... I wait until they're finished, & then, I just send my call-sign ONCE. I figure whoever was on the frequency first (if they can hear me) might reply. :)

K5ABB, N7BKV and M6GYU like this.