ad: SDRKits-1

Ever heard and answered a non-sked CW call to you from a stranger?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N7BKV, Jun 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I surprised an operator yesterday. I lurk around the DX Cluster Graph ( https://dxcluster.ha8tks.hu/rbn_ct1boh/ ) for stations close by. I listen in. If it is a speed and quality I can handle, I will call that station when they are finished.

Op seemed surprised and maybe confused. But it was a good QSO.

I have not been on the receiving end of that sort of call. Maybe because of too much hash, especially at the end of the day.

Is it common?

Brian
    N7BKV

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would say that in the era before all pre-arranged contacts, DX-clusters and RBN, it was "the order of the day" to both get called by and call completely strangers.

After all, is it not what real amateur radio is all about?

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

N3PDT, N2OTG, K3EY and 11 others like this.
  3. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

If I've been calling CQ, I get at least one unsolicited call after I finish a CW QSO maybe 10% of the time. Mostly domestic, but occasionally DX.

Likewise, I will often read the mail on a QSO, then call the "initiating" operator when it ends.

K0UO and N7BKV like this.
  4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Tailgating a QSO...
    It's how I met my radio neighbors, from 300' to 3 miles.
    I had the good sense to QRP for the 300' contact. I think Frank, NA7O can hear my xverter out... :)

K0UO, AC8UN and W7UUU like this.
  5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt that I have ever had a CW QSO with someone I knew.

K0UO, KA0HCP and KE4OH like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What is "non-sked" ?

Is that a Facebook term ? Or Watt.

K0UO, NE1U and M6GYU like this.
  7. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but my most interesting one was as a radio operator at Gibraltar Commcen when I was operating GYU ship/shore station. Every night on 8mhz I could hear this strange non military station working another station. I couldn't recognise either and both with strange callsigns that were not in my ACP callsign books.

One night just after I'd worked one of our ships, I heard.. "gyu gyu gyu" - (using just the guy's callsign you wanted to call and waiting for a "de" was a common commercial way of calling someone up). Curious I answered with "de", and was answered by this same strange callsign. I quickly established he was a French operator working on an oilrig in the desert near Timbuktu and we had a short conversation before finishing the QSO. Pretty rare DX I'd say! :)

N7BKV and NE1U like this.
  8. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not uncommon.

It probably happens one in every ten or twenty QSOs that I wrap things up and then hear someone sending: my call de their call. If the signal is half decent I generally answer. It usually happens when I work a closing band like 20m later in the evening and I guess there aren't many folks on so if someone hears a signal they jump in and call when we wrap things up. It happens on SSB from time to time as well. Some of it may be that I'm in Wyoming and there aren't a ton of hams out here so a lot of folks would like the QSO for WAS reasons. I've had strings some days where I work one station and it leads to five or six QSOs in a row as different folks tail end the previous conversation.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

How Do I get QSOs ?
    Just about all my QSOs are from answering a stranger's CQ or one answering my CQ. That sometimes turns into a "String" of QSOs When I get a call after wrapping up the first QSO...ETC...
    There is the SKCC Sked page that I use if I can't get an answer on a bad day, I can look for new members of the club to QSO there.
    I don't check into nets or use any "DX Clusters" .
    I must have over a Dozen 300 page, spiral bound, Log books going back to 1961, so my method must work !

10. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I haven't had a "SKED" since i was a novice... I've had lots and lots of tail ender qso's both calling, and receiving. I've worked lots of DX entities by coming across a dx qso in progress, and then patiently waiting for the stations to finish up their business and calling the dx station with " DX5xyz de k5abb..." they usually answer, and sometimes, I'm not the only one calling them. I've also had the experience many times of being in a dx qso with another station, and after wrapping up, having a number of other stations from their area call me after the qso. I have noticed this several times with low powered lower license class JA's after I work one of them, (I have good antennas and a good amp so I'm really doing much to most of the work) several others will pop up and want to work me...

I have good antennas (and decent propagation obviously) so I can copy them, and a big signal so they can copy me.... In short, it's an opportunity to work transoceanic DX with their low powered stations during these difficult times. They're tickled to get the qso, and I'm tickled to be able to help, because I used to be that little guy, and working a DX station would make my whole day (still does actually but I work a LOT more of them now). everybody gets a paper card, and everybody has a great day without scheduling a single thing.

I've worked bunches of ZL's and VK's in quick succession and had many tell me I was the only copyable DX on the band, so that's why they called. Propagation is a fickle mistress, so I'm happy to get you in the log, even If I'm all you can get lol, I'm a cheap date, but I know what it's like when pickings are slim.

So they call you, you call them, whatever... we're all hams, so lets work each other.

K0UO, N7BKV and NE1U like this.